Summer camping

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Stevievee
Bongolier

Summer camping

Post by Stevievee » Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Pretty sure it’s going to be the holiday choice for most this year.

I’ve also received an email today from a campsite opening 4th July at 50% capacity to allow for social distancing... Ive stated booking now for summer. Beat the crowds!! Even if sites are open, but shops etc, still closed, I want to support the sites and aren’t bothered about venturing far from it. Few beers and a bbq, I’m happy to stay put!! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Summer camping

Post by Bob » Thu May 21, 2020 9:04 pm

I'll agree with that.

We haven't booked yet as we tend to like small, basic, sites, and we will decide where to go once we know if anything else will be open nearby.

Since we have few commitments we can book at short notice and I'm thinking our favourite sites won't be packed, CLs limited to 5 units suit well and are often spacious.

I just hope we don't suffer a plague of dingbats who've bought 'everything you need for camping - fifty quid in Halfords/Argos'.

Had this a few years ago when foreign holidays went expensive, and, my goodness, there were some 'hard work' campers about that season. :shock:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Yeh I agree Bob but what's more entertaining than watching a couple put up a new tent when he won't just read the instructions and she is just waiting for him to mess up and ask for help. Best laughs you can have for free.😁
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 pm

So true, Ady.

A few years back at Slapton Sands we were near a family who plainly weren't suited to camping.

We missed set up, but had a few days of great entertainment, including the daily, (high volume) "Get round here now, it's time for ****** Bible reading". And, indeed, out came the Good Book and calm rained for 15 minutes. :?

Packing up was a joy to behold, including throwing canned food at each other. This would seriously hurt if it hit target.

I remember it so well, even after all these years. :lol:
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Has anybody heard any rumours or whispers on the wind from individual campsites about reopening? Especially up North. Itching to get out camping!! [-o<
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:52 pm

I'm all packed for stourport.🛂🤔
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Oh how I wish, Ady. [-o<
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:42 pm Yeh I agree Bob but what's more entertaining than watching a couple put up a new tent when he won't just read the instructions and she is just waiting for him to mess up and ask for help. Best laughs you can have for free.😁
Has always been the female that never reads any instructions in my experience
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 am

Glad I didn't say that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29 pm

Its a dilemma for me too ...

OTOH, I think campsites are meant to reduce capacity, to keep to CV guidelines. So there will be potentially more space actually and campsites may be even a bit quieter depending on how they interpret them. I suppose it also depends how the "guidelines" progress or change.

OTOH, more people will be travelling to places in the UK. I live in Bournemouth and as people may know since its been reported in the news, the crowds here have been huge over last few days, especially as children and students have also effectively started their Summer holidays.

I had been thinking to visit Northumberland this July, but if its going to be crowded I'm less inclined to travel. Perhaps just try some more local sites this year, so that if its too busy at least I have option of going home again easily .... decisions decisions ...
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Just got off the phone from the campsite we use in Cornwall for the Bongo Fest South West in September. The capacity will be reduced from 85 pitches to 60 pitches and the bar/restaurant will be take away only. And no live music or BBQs. But at least we can go camping again!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm

I can see September and October getting rather busy at the campsites with everybody trying to get the quota of nights away :-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:58 pm

We were camping in the Bongo it was a bit of a rubbish weather day and we were sitting in the roof doing a spot of camper watching.
We watched a couple arrive with an old moss covered caravan. After picking a spot near the Carp lake they started to setup. The wife guided him as he reversed into position.
Thats when problems started because she had stood at the back of the van out of sight of the driver despite frantic waiving of arms and shouting he almost pushed her down the bank. A few words later and she stood so as to be clearly seen and guided him very close to the slope of the bank.
The red faced driver got out of the car checked its position and lowered the rear stabiliser sruts using a cordless drill, that's natty I thought old van like that he must have done this a few times. He then went back to the car and tried to unhitch. It wouldnt quite unhitch and he was struggling with what appeared to be a stuck drop wheel. Obviously he coildnt lift it as he had dropped the rear legs so he figured dropping the cars clutch and releasing it that way. After several attempts to pull off the hitch it finally let go with a loud bang and the car was detatched from the van. Thats when the caravan rose dropped onto the nose wheel and started to roll down the bank into the Carp lake.
Luckily the rear struts dug in after a few feet of roll bending them badly but halting its progress. Problem now was the nose was 5 feet in the air and despite them both hanging on it it was just making things worse. They were rescued by the site owner who had seen what was happening so we didnt intervene partly because the guy obviously heard us both laughing like Hyenas and looked directly up at us but it made no difference niether of us could stop laughing.
At the finish they decided against staying and left after bashing the rear strut out of the way.
Good idea with the drill though.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Brilliant. :lol:

At least she wasn't hurt. [-o<

Tip: When using a cordless drill to raise/lower caravan legs make sure to set the screwdriver torque. If it's on the 'drill' setting you'll finish up whizzing round, cartoon style.

Or at least hurt your wrist. :wink:
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:18 pm

We have a few booked now. First one this weekend, just for one night on the Saturday. Just found out though, there is NO toilet facilities open. Fine for a wee, might have to wander out with the bears for anything else! :shock:

Saying that, being from a part of Yorkshire that is quite Covid high at the moment, we might be going the same way as Leicester, and not going anywhere! :(

Return to “Bongo Chat”