So long, farewell...

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Gripped
Bongolier

So long, farewell...

Post by Gripped » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:01 pm

After 11 years of Bongoing in our 2.5TD, then our V6, we've finally become Bongoless. The diesel now lives in Ireland, and the V6 went to its new owner Chris yesterday. We've changed to a larger van (apparently toilets are important) so we couldn't keep 2 vehicles.

We've loved camping in our Bongo - travelling all over the UK. We forgave it when it broke down twice on our honeymoon in Scotland.... luckily the forum and Ian Taylor came to the rescue.

Thanks for all the help and advice over the years, and to Ian at the Bongo shop for making DIY servicing much easier. This forum (and the factsheets) have been incredibly useful, allowing me to attempt things like cambelt changes and valve clearances checks, oh and of course regular drop link and oil changes ! I've learned loads.

I'll miss our Bongo's. The diesel was our camper for 10 years, and I still remember it's distinctive smell when strong winds blew through the vents, the comfy but rather snug R&R bed. The way you couldn't open the fridge door with the bed down, and banging my head on the ceiling. But it is such a well designed vehicle. Even down to the window wind deflectors which allow you to have the windows open for ventilation when it's raining and the way the seats fold in various ways depending on your mood. Fitting a LSD made it brilliant in the snow, and it was a capable trailer tower and all round utility vehicle for shifting furniture and people. The V6 remained an 8 seater and it was a great long distance people carrier. So comfy and smooth. I'm going to miss it. :cry:

It's such a shame that they don't still make the Bongo, and the choice of other similar vans is fairly limited, and of course none come with a factory fitted AFT. I suspect we'll never find such a versatile vehicle............... unless we buy another Bongo. (Don't tell the Mrs). :^o

Stay safe and keep well in these challenging times. At least the weather has improved ! :mrgreen:
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: So long, farewell...

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Quite understand your reasons, all part of life's changing pattern.

Don't forget to drop in here often, and come along to some Meets with your new van so we can have a nosey. 8)
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 pm

What new van have you gone for?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 pm

A mate of ours was selling his Autosleepers Symbol for a good price. It's a Peugeot Boxer and the shortest one with a loo at 5.4 metres.

To be honest I've been less than impressed with the quality of the van. They are basically a builders van underneath so built to a budget. At least the conversion is nice. But I can see us swapping it for something else at some point. Anyway, there are more pressing issues at the moment aren't there!

:shock:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:17 am

Indeed, you're right about some vans/conversions makes the Bongo feel very quiet, well built and super plush inside.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 am

Very best wishes Gripped and keep in touch - you've been a great member to have on here. If you do decide to be reinBongoated, a can recommend an Eriba or similar small caravan (esp with a quick erect Khyam Motordome) as an alternative approach that has some significant good points. Its no hassle to drag around and you only have to do that when you want to (head to) a campsite. The Bongo then becomes a portable toilet ha ha with or without bedroom and kitchen attached.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks for looking after it, I think it’s got many good years ahead in my hands. Will share a couple of pics once the conversion is in
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Glad you like it. Will be great to see what you do with it.

:D

Return to “Bongo Chat”