Help! Bongo will only drive 2 mph - after left for 2 months in cold!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Help! Bongo will only drive 2 mph - after left for 2 months in cold!

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Yep, and chock the opposite wheel to the one you're lifting, but as suggested be very careful or get some help. :wink:
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Don’t underestimate the brakes, after two months parked up, one of our 4x4’s required low ratio four wheel drive and a lot of right foot to get the vehicle to move. :shock:
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 pm

All very helpful, thank you.

I won’t be able to call anyone till end of coming week now, as I’m away for a few days. But when it’s sorted I’ll report back as to what the problem was!
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Re the brakes. If you are able to and its safe to do so, I'd put it in neutral with the handbrake off and see if you can push it. they are ridiculously heavy but if it is the brakes stopping you from doing more than 2mph you won't be able to budge it at all. if it does roll then you can discount the brakes being bound on so tight it would stop you moving as little as you say.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Weeeee ....eeeellll....

I got it sorted!

Short story: it was to do with the accelerator. Most likely, leaving my Bongo unused in the damp weather, the connections or something for accelerator pedal got damp, and so that it why my bongo wouldn't move properly. The accelerator wasn't engaged at all.

Long story: I rang my breakdown company. I did have Homestart. But £30 excess charge to come out and take it on lorry to a car mechanic of my choice. I rang a local car mechanic I had been recommended in my area to ask him if he would be prepared to have bongo delivered to him. He suggested it simpler if he simply came out this morning to take a quick look first. He said straight away its the accelerator. He pressed it a few times with the engine off, and (lucky!), that seemed to engage it again. I drove it around for about half an hour and all seems well again!

A little bit embarrassing, as it was quite a simple thing :oops: really, as someone suggested!! But I panicked a bit and wasn't sure what to do.

Still: its an ill wind that blows no good. I have now found a handy local mechanic who knows about Bongos. He'll put a small charge for his call out I think when he does my MOT next week, so it hasn't worked out too expensive, or too much drama.

Second: the moral of the story - obviously - not to leave Bongo unused for too many weeks. Especially in damp weather. I think I read somewhere most vehicles, Bongos certainly, like to be used.

So, thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions, and I'm sorry if I took up your time and energy for my little drama. Hope to see some of you again soon. Am hoping to go to Wales meet up and Surrey one later this year.

Mary-Ann
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Hello Marie Ann
Great to hear that you got sorted so easily ! Always look at the simple solutions first.
Moral of the story .......keep using the bus as much as you can !
The local honest mechanic is also a top result , happy days .
Brian

Return to “Bongo Chat”