AFT tent and rain!!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Stevievee
Bongolier

AFT tent and rain!!

Post by Stevievee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 am

We are away for the first time in our new bongo, 2 nights in the Yorkshire Dales... It rained last night, blowing into one side of the aft tent, now, the morning after it is wet to the touch on the inside. We didn’t get wet through the night, but after reading other posts on here, it should be fully waterproof. My question is (as obviously our Bongo isn’t) can it be sprayed with something to re-waterproof it?
Add on question.... anybody else have a wife up there with a bladder the size of a peanut... and if so, what do they do when nature calls??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First trip, lots of learning and adapting to be done! All a bit trial and error!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT tent and rain!!

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:52 am

Are you sure the Zip flaps were covering the zip ? They have a habit of getting creased up leaving the zip exposed, if all the moisture starts from the zip area then suspect that might be the problem, otherwise on some of the tents there is a little area at the rear where they are stitched thru the plastic, we covered those areas with a covering of the repair tape.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:00 am

Stevievee wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 am We are away for the first time in our new bongo, 2 nights in the Yorkshire Dales... It rained last night, blowing into one side of the aft tent, now, the morning after it is wet to the touch on the inside. We didn’t get wet through the night, but after reading other posts on here, it should be fully waterproof. My question is (as obviously our Bongo isn’t) can it be sprayed with something to re-waterproof it?
Add on question.... anybody else have a wife up there with a bladder the size of a peanut... and if so, what do they do when nature calls??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

First trip, lots of learning and adapting to be done! All a bit trial and error!
If its an original factory AFT roof the material should be impervious to water and no proofing needed. Usual cause of water on inside is condensation due to humid air (breath etc) contacting cold surface. For that, ventilation and or an insulating internal liner or an external cover should sort it. Or it may be there is a leak where tenting joins frame but that would not typically cause all over moisture on the tent interior.

I made up a funnel and polypropylene tube affair to run to ground via the passenger window when I used to sleep upstairs. Caused much laughter amongst the Bongo comnunity, but it worked a treat and put nitrogen in the soil :lol:

Edit: ah yes, the zip also as Geoff says, should have remembered that! I think an external cover (comfortzleisure do one) is the best overall solution for wind and rain.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:03 am

g8dhe wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:52 am Are you sure the Zip flaps were covering the zip ? They have a habit of getting creased up leaving the zip exposed, if all the moisture starts from the zip area then suspect that might be the problem, otherwise on some of the tents there is a little area at the rear where they are stitched thru the plastic, we covered those areas with a covering of the repair tape.
Zip covers seem fine, after closer inspection, looks like the stitching underneath this. Will look at covering with tape! Thanks.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 am

I'd treat yourself to an external cover to throw over the whole AFT when wet and windy OR just windy. Driving rain will always disclose any weakness and it doesnt make for good sleep if/when the tenting is flapping etc in wind. Also, an external cover stops wind getting under the substantial roof overhang and should reduce potentially damaging twisting effects, though I think jury struts are needed also in reality if the AFT is to be made safe in high wind. I have an external cover and it folds into a slim bag that doesnt take much packing space.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:18 am

Great stuff, thanks for the advice. It did rain really heavily, will have a look at the external covers... saying that, I think we’ll mostly be fine weather bongonauts to be honest!
Thinking of catheterising the wife!! :twisted:
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:57 am

Hi
Just to add to the discussion, as others have mentioned you will experience dampness on all metal/plastic work due to condensation, I overcame this by applying self adhesive felt, bought on ebay by the metre to all of the metal/plastic areas. It's rather time consuming having to cut the necessary shapes/lengths but it will cure the condensation issue.
As for getting caught short, we bought a medipaq leakproof unisex portable urinal, works a treat..

Return to “Bongo Chat”