Undersealing

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Stevievee
Bongolier

Undersealing

Post by Stevievee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi all. Just collected our new Bongo yesterday. 2002 Auro 2.5d. She is in great condition, but after checking the latest service invoice from July, by Wheel Quick in Warrington it advises ‘needs deep wax oil’. The underneath is mint, no rust and was sealed when brought over (2 years ago). Anyway my question is, 1, does anybody know any garages near Bradford that can do this, and 2, how much will it cost, 3, if it is just a touch up should I have a go at doing it myself?? (I work in an office, so have limited practical skills :lol: )
Thanks in advance for any advise! Steve
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Undersealing

Post by Flanners » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:39 pm

If it's a touch up and you can get under her then it's worth a go, I did mine and pleased with the results. To get it done anywhere between £200-600+. Just have some thinners around to get it off your face!
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Had a quote for £600, does that sound about right... hope not!!! :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Stevievee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:21 pm Had a quote for £600, does that sound about right... hope not!!! :(
Thats a lot of money for anything less than a top quality Dinitrol job including full pressure wash and a drying room. And if it was already sealed on import it shouldnt need that kind of ground up work, just inspection and renewal of underseal in areas where it has been abraded away by road spray etc (waxoyl is whats usually used on imports and its a lot softer than Dinitrol)
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:34 pm

is that unseen -it does sound a lot - i actually just did a search to find this thread with a question about how often it needs doing as mine is going over to bongo spares for a new steering rack tonight and i thought about checking it at the same time and possibly getting it re-done they quoted £250 - £350 depending on how much prep was needed and a couple of days in dock to check it has smooth clean surface etc before they do it, and would also notify you if they spotted a problem welding etc before they did it.Chances are it wont need the extra work if wheelquick say its clean they have a good reputation -but Bongo spares are in Ripponden so not as far from Bradford -and they are also very reliable i would give them a ring before you commit to £600.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:04 am

Going to have a go myself, probably best to wait until after winter, when the weathers better?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:32 pm

Stevievee wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:04 am Going to have a go myself, probably best to wait until after winter, when the weathers better?
Yes you'd hope one winter is not going to make a critical difference if the underside is in good condition, and you really need all surfaces to be clean and dry, which probably means pressure washing then weather sufficiently warm to allow rapid drying. Also, everything/you will work better when its not wet and freezing outside.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:32 pm
Yes you'd hope one winter is not going to make a critical difference if the underside is in good condition, and you really need all surfaces to be clean and dry, which probably means pressure washing then weather sufficiently warm to allow rapid drying. Also, everything/you will work better when its not wet and freezing outside.
Praying for a heatwave then.... or at least 2 hot days in a row! [-o<

Return to “Bongo Chat”