about to be written off.

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

a.l.2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

about to be written off.

Post by a.l.2810 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 pm

So some Git side swipes my bongo while parked outside , no witness, nothing. Considerable damage and it looks like it's going to be a total loss. That leaves the question buy back the salvage or just forget it. I had the interior retrimmed A while back nothing special just a little different that I would like to keep . What else on it would be of worth to anyone. 2.5 diesel 2wd auto .
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: about to be written off.

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Rotten luck. :(

Remeber it's yours. The insurance company can only take/buy it off you with your consent at an agreed value.

You may prefer to sell salvage to someone like Bongo Spares, you may prefer to repair or you may decide to sell every single part on flea bay.

Depends on the time/space/determination/what your partner says.

Feel for you having Bongy hit by some cretin. :twisted:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm Rotten luck. :(

Remeber it's yours. The insurance company can only take/buy it off you with your consent at an agreed value.

You may prefer to sell salvage to someone like Bongo Spares, you may prefer to repair or you may decide to sell every single part on flea bay.

Depends on the time/space/determination/what your partner says.

Feel for you having Bongy hit by some cretin. :twisted:
2nd what Bob says and really sorry to hear of this - I keep reading of hit and runs and its a sad indictment of how morally bankrupt society has become, from Westminster to the street corner. Shame on them all. They don't seem to realise they're building the sh*thouse that they themselves will have to live in - do (not) to others as you'd have done to yourself. Hope you come up with the right decision, draw a line and move on, 'cos its all we can do with stuff like this.
a.l.2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by a.l.2810 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Got the offer today 2300. If I want to retain it they will subtract 500 from this which seems high to me, so I'll let it go and move on. Although I do intend to change the wheels back to steel as I had only fitted a set of alloys 3 weeks before the incident as well as some of the additions I have made. Then I'm back in the market for another one.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:52 pm

so you can get 1800 and still hang onto the van - which is fully functional?
How much did you spend on the retrim?
It seems madness to me that you'd let it go for the 500 in the difference, you could get a new one and swap over all your reliable parts etc, got to be worht more than 500 to you?
a.l.2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by a.l.2810 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 pm

The damage is such that the drivers side a post has been pushed back at the bottom, pushing the door back and also damaging the rear quarter panel. Not really usable as is. Retrim? about £70 and about 25 hours. (trimmer by trade) It was just some cloth that looked Japanese ish , just did it to make it different from the others , especially as the original stuff was showing its age. The other thing is storing it. I really don't have room for a dead vehicle, the thought did cross my mind but not really practical. If space were no problem it wouldn't be going anywhere.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Fair enough, damage sounds worse than I thought and the retrim not as expensive as I thought!
a.l.2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by a.l.2810 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Yep plus it needs attention to the rear arches. Best move on. Maybe find a fresh import. Leather retrim next time perhaps.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Don't forget the heat/sun on leather in a camper......no thanks.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
a.l.2810
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by a.l.2810 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Don't see myself going anywhere that hot. The few days we get are no problem, Bongo's have blinds anyway.No much more likely to find seat heaters handy for this country

Return to “Bongo Chat”