Advice on running costs

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Redy888
Apprentice Bongonaut

Advice on running costs

Post by Redy888 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi
Im a newbie and hopefully about to buy my first bongo. I ahave seen a 1995 one which I need to be able to get my mobility scooter to fit in back as the seats fold to the side. I dont have much money and this solves the transportation of my scooter all 5 in my family travellinn at once and a few night camping trips fishing etc.
My question is what are the average running costs of the bongo. Its old and has a year mot, but with all vans it will neeed work and looking after. My hubby isnt keen on getting it as he thinks it will be a money pit but I am very keen. Any advice would be great.
Cheers diane
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Advice on running costs

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:04 pm

You will be looking at an OLD vehicle, more than 20 years old, you will need to spend a lot more money on it maintaining it at that age. Whilst I love the vehicles I would not be suggesting such an old one if you have limited money and mechanical skills to be able to maintain it yourself to be honest.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:04 pm You will be looking at an OLD vehicle, more than 20 years old, you will need to spend a lot more money on it maintaining it at that age. Whilst I love the vehicles I would not be suggesting such an old one if you have limited money and mechanical skills to be able to maintain it yourself to be honest.
Have to agree with Geoff. Great cars but old and you have to accept they may have to come off the road for welding/rust, getting spare parts etc. And they give poor mpg on short runs especially. But if you can live with this and have a fund for dealing with issues, and a good Bongo friendly garage, then they can be great to own.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Welcome aboard. 8)

Geoff and Mike have summed it up well.

Sadly there are some very poorley Bongos on the market, but pay for a late import from one of the dealers on here and you should get a good vehicle.

Sadly cheap and good don't go together, but do have a look at the Members' Ads and see what you think, and if you can get along to a Meet have a look and a chat. We're a friendly crew. :wink:

Return to “Bongo Chat”