More sun canopy frustration!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Treetalk
Bongonaut

More sun canopy frustration!

Post by Treetalk » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Well, I went ahead and bought the Isabella Sun Canopy 240 - and attached it to the figure of 8 when I went away last week.

Unfortunately the "flapping" of the canopy in the breeze was an issue at night. It was only a moderate breeze, but it woke me up early morning, even shaking the bongo!

I also found it a bit of a faff to put up to be honest, but that could be me :lol:

I know the Fiamma F45 is quite a popular awning, if more expensive. Its nice and easy to put up. However, I think someone told me once, it can shake or rattle in its casing when you are driving. Is that people's experience? If so, that wouldn't work for me.

Surprisingly, I did find the bongo's height meant I could happily sit in the shade without the need for the canopy. However, I did find it nice to have a canopy of some kind; it just adds some space in some way.

If I'm still unclear, I might ask people at the Cornwall meetup in a few weeks time :) .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: More sun canopy frustration!

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm

I've never noticed anything significant noise wise from the F45 I've had on the vehicle for the last 11-12 years.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks g8, that sounds promising, I can think some more about it for next year.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am

By their design such sun canopies are going to flap and luff, they also depending on the orientation of the van and the wind act as a giant sail and fill with air which is entertaining :cry: Looking at the one you just purchased the first review on google states it flaps very badly. I have the Khyam Sun Canopy and pleased with it for the money; it flaps in the wind so I don't use it then, I also would not ever leave it up overnight as it is just not substantial or secure enough unlike an awning. As I only 'wild camp' it's use is pretty infrquent but is useful to have as it is shower proof as well.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am

Flanners wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am By their design such sun canopies are going to flap and luff, they also depending on the orientation of the van and the wind act as a giant sail and fill with air which is entertaining :cry: Looking at the one you just purchased the first review on google states it flaps very badly. I have the Khyam Sun Canopy and pleased with it for the money; it flaps in the wind so I don't use it then, I also would not ever leave it up overnight as it is just not substantial or secure enough unlike an awning. As I only 'wild camp' it's use is pretty infrquent but is useful to have as it is shower proof as well.
Good points. I have a Caravanstore and it and things like the F45 use a material more substantial than the tent material some of these canopies are made of. As a result they are less prone to flapping i think.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:01 pm

We've got bthe F35 ('cus it was cheaper and weighs less) Never been an issue when driving. It has been out in stormy weather, no bother, but you do hear it flap a bit. Use some big tie down straps and steel pegs rather than the cord that comes as standard.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks all.

I hadn't thought of that but maybe F35 better for my purposes. I just want a small canopy in the sun :) , thats easy to put up and down, and doesn't rattle when travelling.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi
I made a 2.7m × 3m sun canopy using a 3×3 meter hammock cover bought off Amazon. It just needed cutting and hemming to 2.7m wide and sowing in a fixing strip, which was then filled with 6mm nylon rope. Fits the 8 mm figure of 8 easily and quickly. Strong and light weight and can be removed in less than 30 seconds. Held up using 2 steel awning poles in each corner.

Return to “Bongo Chat”