Overheating issues with a difference!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Overheating issues with a difference!

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 am

Well there I was pleased as punch bongo mot'ed for another year with a couple of advisories to have the chassis welded. Then my welder mate phoned me to tell me he had just finished the welding when there was "whoosh" and my beloved bongo was aflame! I have just told my insurance but bearing in mind that it is 24 years old I anticipate a write off situation will follow.

Still trying to get to grips with what has happened. I don't expect the insurance co to be overgenerous and various resolutions (or solutions) are going though my head. If I decide I can afford it I want to keep the salvage and rebuild the burnt out bit. This if drivers door internals drivers seat carpet dashboard fusebox and basically all from drivers step to headlining.

I smile to myself and recall the conversation I had with my mate on how old as it was I hoped my bongo would last me out. Still what would life be like without the occasional hiccup!
Yours from a potentially ex bongonaut

Ian G
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Overheating issues with a difference!

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 am

Jeebers that is bad news and so sorry to hear it. I think I'd be nervous about (the cost of) mending burned wiring looms and interior generally. For what its worth Trish and me bought an Eriba Puck last year. Its as easy as pie to tow and being small and narrow and 500kg weight it can go pretty much anywhere. We already had a Khyam Motordome Tourer awning and that fits with it perfectly. Not cheap to buy but hold price well. And it makes for great accommodation and is shedloads of fun. Maybe a suitable car and an Eriba could make for an interesting new adventure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvS6aceMNTtikmDR8

And please stay on BF regardless - you're one of the stars in the BF firmament. Hope you find a good outcome, and keep us posted.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 am

Crikey Ian, what jolly bad luck. :(

As Bill says, do stay around however it works out. :)
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 am Jeebers that is bad news and so sorry to hear it. I think I'd be nervous about (the cost of) mending burned wiring looms and interior generally. For what its worth Trish and me bought an Eriba Puck last year. Its as easy as pie to tow and being small and narrow and 500kg weight it can go pretty much anywhere. We already had a Khyam Motordome Tourer awning and that fits with it perfectly. Not cheap to buy but hold price well. And it makes for great accommodation and is shedloads of fun. Maybe a suitable car and an Eriba could make for an interesting new adventure.

And please stay on BF regardless - you're one of the stars in the BF firmament. Hope you find a good outcome, and keep us posted.
We had an Eriba Puck prior to the Bongo. Great little caravans and the Puck will fit inside most garages :D We found we had more room in the Puck as all the bags and stuff can be thrown in the car..... I'm sure mikeon4c will have experienced the Eriba Kiss :lol:

Second, the point about the cost of a rebuild especially if the dash and wires have been damaged.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 am
mikeonb4c wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 am Jeebers that is bad news and so sorry to hear it. I think I'd be nervous about (the cost of) mending burned wiring looms and interior generally. For what its worth Trish and me bought an Eriba Puck last year. Its as easy as pie to tow and being small and narrow and 500kg weight it can go pretty much anywhere. We already had a Khyam Motordome Tourer awning and that fits with it perfectly. Not cheap to buy but hold price well. And it makes for great accommodation and is shedloads of fun. Maybe a suitable car and an Eriba could make for an interesting new adventure.

We had an Eriba Puck prior to the Bongo. Great little caravans and the Puck will fit inside most garages :D We found we had more room in the Puck as all the bags and stuff can be thrown in the car..... I'm sure mikeon4c will have experienced the Eriba Kiss :lol:

Second, the point about the cost of a rebuild especially if the dash and wires have been damaged.
Eriba kiss sounds interesting! And yes, if you spend it on a Puck you'll know where the bottom is and you should get yr money back when you sell. With a 24yr old rusty burned out Bongo neither is likely (sadly) though, like you FCL, I love my Bongo to bits.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Update. ...... Son in law has mates and friends. They appreciate my problem and - would you believe it - A ford Freda has just been acquired to either act as a surrogate to have my engine transplanted or to provide the necessary bits. Due to collect tomorrow. As ford Freda's are cheaper to insure (!) I will inspect the same and make a decision What a change around in 48 hours.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 pm

fatcatlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm Update. ...... Son in law has mates and friends. They appreciate my problem and - would you believe it - A ford Freda has just been acquired to either act as a surrogate to have my engine transplanted or to provide the necessary bits. Due to collect tomorrow. As ford Freda's are cheaper to insure (!) I will inspect the same and make a decision What a change around in 48 hours.
Great news, and good luck getting it all sorted =D>
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm

@mikeonb4c, the Eriba kiss is when you forget to duck getting in or out :wink: Picked up that expression from the Eriba forum (albeit a few years back)
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm @mikeonb4c, the Eriba kiss is when you forget to duck getting in or out :wink: Picked up that expression from the Eriba forum (albeit a few years back)
Suspected as much and yes I've been kissed :lol: But, soon settled and now its rare \:D/
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Around here a Bolsover kiss is what happens when involved in an altercation a bruised head is caused when head butted by a miscreant
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Around here a Bolsover kiss is what happens when involved in an altercation a bruised head is caused when head butted by a miscreant
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am

fatcatlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm Around here a Bolsover kiss is what happens when involved in an altercation a bruised head is caused when head butted by a miscreant
:shock: :lol:
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Update. Well a few mates have rallied round. A 24 year old Freda has been bought! Number 100081 which I think was made in May or June 1995. It needs some welding ?? :shock: it has duff engine. Sounded like a sewing machine but clearly head gasket has gone or as I expect the head itself. So welding to be done earlier next week and a new head will be fitted before the end of the month.

Yes as expected the old one was a write off. Funds will be available to get me on the road again sometime next week

I had not appreciated the number of extras I had fitted to make the old one Mine!
solar panel. Rear facing camera, extra USB ports, cruise control double din radio low coolant alarm, curtains bedframe dab radio. second fuel tank

After the mechanicals have been sorted I will have to source a new waeco speed controller. Though the hand controller and the vacuum thing avoided the flame the control box is but a blob of burnt plastic with a some circuit board sticking out. I think the low coolant alarm has suffered a similar fate!

I am just a wee bit excited on what the next few weeks will holdl
Ian G
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:20 pm

fatcatlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm Around here a Bolsover kiss is what happens when involved in an altercation a bruised head is caused when head butted by a miscreant

:D

Haha, we call it the Glasgow kiss, it's an art to deliver properly. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 pm

teenmal wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:20 pm

:D

Haha, we call it the Glasgow kiss, it's an art to deliver properly. :D
Reminds me of Rab C Nesbitt 😆

Return to “Bongo Chat”