weird wiring / ticking from under drivers side

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

alze
Bongonaut

weird wiring / ticking from under drivers side

Post by alze » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:24 am

Hi All !

Recently my passenger side window stopped working, I assumed it was the classic 'bad' wiring between the door, and as the Bongo is booked in for a service soon was going to get it looked at then.

Over the weekend I've been wiring in my leisure battery, which thanks to the FAQ and Forum postings has gone brilliantly, all the curtains/lights/interior (* except one thing... coming soon) are working.

Now this morning the passenger window started to work ! With a bit of investigation i could see that my Haydn alarm had stopped working (but the clock that comes with it, was working), I started tracing the wires back.

I couldn't see exactly where, but when i started to 'jiggle' the loom on the drivers side near the fuses, the alarm would work (and radio, which was previously working, now isnt), and the window stop working.

Much tracing and jiggling, I got the window working, but the alarm and the radio doesn't. There was a 'ticking' noise from under the dash, so I'm thinking there is a loose earth somewhere, but have no clue about the in-situ wiring, only whats been added - please not the window *wasn't* working before I started the leisure battery wiring !

It seems i can 'knock' something and either the window or alarm/radio will work or neither.

Any advice tips ? are there any 'common grounds' i should be looking for in that area ? Save me some labour charges hopefully if I can get it *all* working together, but Im glad the window opens now ! :?: :| :?

Kind Regards,
Al.ze.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: weird wiring / ticking from under drivers side

Post by teenmal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:21 am

I would recommend that you get a Qualified Auto Electrician to sort your potential dangerous problem, it could be cheaper and safer in the long run.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:11 am

teenmal wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:21 am I would recommend that you get a Qualified Auto Electrician to sort your potential dangerous problem, it could be cheaper and safer in the long run.
Have to agree. You really need someone who can inspect the wiring and identify if any modifications have been badly done. A very good person, in case yr based in the North West, is Karl Chadwick, who has done a lot of work with Bongos. You can probably find him on Facebook, where he pops up from time to time.
alze
Bongonaut

Post by alze » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

Cheers guys for the advice - I've had toe bongo for 3 years now and it has been ok in that time, but I do agree with you its a job for a pro ! Breaking out the wallet again *aggh* :)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:49 am

alze wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am Cheers guys for the advice - I've had toe bongo for 3 years now and it has been ok in that time, but I do agree with you its a job for a pro ! Breaking out the wallet again *aggh* :)

Its better than "breaking out the fire extinguisher" :lol:
alze
Bongonaut

Post by alze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Well, having a GCSE in Electronics and being on the sensible side, I did have another look yesterday.
Having looked at both the dashboard schematic in how that was put together and the wiring diagram I was able to get enough access to look at the horrors that have been lurking beneath !
Long and the short (short being the optimal word here) there was two things
  • Previous Owners 'radio' or 'multimedia unit
  • Remote locking that has never worked and looks bespoke
So the first one, one of the previous owners must of had another mutlimedia (radio/dvd,whatever) plugged into the passenger side wiring, whilst not horrific, there was a loose live. This was shorting out on the main-cross beam, so I 'tidied' that wiring up.
The real horror was on the drivers side - from what i can see, a after-market central lockign system had been installed, and what a hack that was, direct wiring into the rear of the fuse box, horrendous splices and a couple of live wires, plus a ground touching the chassis. I dont know how long its been like that, as I've never had it working, rest assured I bloody removed it and 'tidied' the cabling so everything is operational.
I also found that there was a plug completely undone, having plugged it back in, there was loads of additonal beeps ! reversing beep, key in barrel beep - i thought that one was a problem, not a feature until I googled it !

Anyhow, long and the *short* is that everythign is working again now, both electric windows, no clicking from under the dash/bonnet and probably saved myself a few quid in labour, but I did have to buy a new voltmeter, but thats multi use and only 8 quid :)
A.

Post edit - the central locking loose earth was tapping onto the chassis creating a short *I think* - hard to tell without opening the board, but since ive removed it - non issue.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 pm

alze wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:05 pm Well, having a GCSE in Electronics and being on the sensible side, I did have another look yesterday.
Having looked at both the dashboard schematic in how that was put together and the wiring diagram I was able to get enough access to look at the horrors that have been lurking beneath !
Long and the short (short being the optimal word here) there was two things
  • Previous Owners 'radio' or 'multimedia unit
  • Remote locking that has never worked and looks bespoke
So the first one, one of the previous owners must of had another mutlimedia (radio/dvd,whatever) plugged into the passenger side wiring, whilst not horrific, there was a loose live. This was shorting out on the main-cross beam, so I 'tidied' that wiring up.
The real horror was on the drivers side - from what i can see, a after-market central lockign system had been installed, and what a hack that was, direct wiring into the rear of the fuse box, horrendous splices and a couple of live wires, plus a ground touching the chassis. I dont know how long its been like that, as I've never had it working, rest assured I bloody removed it and 'tidied' the cabling so everything is operational.
I also found that there was a plug completely undone, having plugged it back in, there was loads of additonal beeps ! reversing beep, key in barrel beep - i thought that one was a problem, not a feature until I googled it !

Anyhow, long and the *short* is that everythign is working again now, both electric windows, no clicking from under the dash/bonnet and probably saved myself a few quid in labour, but I did have to buy a new voltmeter, but thats multi use and only 8 quid :)
A.

Post edit - the central locking loose earth was tapping onto the chassis creating a short *I think* - hard to tell without opening the board, but since ive removed it - non issue.

Well done =D> =D> =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Second that. =D>

Return to “Bongo Chat”