CB on a bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

alze
Bongonaut

CB on a bongo

Post by alze » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi All !
I saw a (oldish) viewtopic.php?t=44909 on the forums about CB Radio. As my Bongo passed my MoT I decided to splash the cash and get a CB - have to say its great fun getting it all wired in and finally transmitting on it.
Main reason I got is that I'm off to North Wales in the Bongo for August Bank holiday, and thought it would 1) Be fun 2) Keep me entertained on the way up and be good on the mountains (I live by the sea and in a valley, its a miracle I could talk to anyone !).
So, if you are thinking about getting a CB, and you go about 150 quid to spare, I would say do it ! Its great fun, and not being on a mobile phone is so much more fun, probably get some walkie talkies soon :)

Heres a breakdown of whats been purchased (hope this is ok, not trying to advertise, but just what has worked on the bongo), these all come from 'thunderpole'

CB Radio Starter kit - £79.99
SWR Meter - 24.99
CTE Gutter Mount - 19.99
Tankwhip - 19.99
Patch Cable 5.99

Other things (cable tie, very strong doublesided tape, sand-paper, cable ties)

For the technically minded i was able to get my SWR down to .5 and .8 with this setup, and being only on 4 Watts, am happy with the performance.
Heres a pic of the 'twig' - as you can see, it reaches a mighty height on the bongo !

http://alz0r.stoatopic.net/resize/04d5b ... f_2048.jpg

Whilst I'm not an 'expert' am happy to share my experiences with fellow bongo owners and even arrange some DX'ing if so inclined :)
Al.ze

Return to “Bongo Chat”