"Fridge" dilemma in unconverted bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

bongotoffee
Junior Bongonaut

Re: "Fridge" dilemma in unconverted bongo

Post by bongotoffee » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Just had a weekend in Swaledale and the coolbox ran fine. Switched off at night but ran it most of the day. Milk and butter kept well. More testing needed with lager!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm

I just spent two nights off grid with a 60w solar panel topping up the leisure battery. I kept the compressor fridge running low (5 o'clock on the dial) non-stop and didn't start up the engine until it was time to leave. The leisure battery was bought new last spring and I go away A LOT!.

Just thought I'd post a happy story!

PS I used to turn the fridge off at night but decided the weather warranted leaving it on all the time. It kept lovely and cold and didn't of course have to re-cool itself in the morning! Just kept it a steady cool temp.

Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Having commented above on this post I started looking at alternatives to my current solution, always a costly mistake and saw a waeco 21 litre compressor cool box on Gumtree for £250, which is actually fairly reasonable, being they cost £560 new. However knowing that waeco officially became dometic in 2016 led me to thinking this cool box was at least 3 years old. However I was now convinced (based on the good reviews) I would like one, especially since the pull on the leisure battery was said to be 0.4amps as opposed to my current cool box at 3.5amps per hour.
Having looked on Amazon they had a warehouse return for £370, which still came with the 2 year warrenty. Taking the plunge I purchased it knowing if it did not meet my expectations I would return it. Arrived last Thursday and I am very impressed, their is not a mark on it, box was slightly damaged but I could live with that. Plugging it in I was impressed with how quiet it was plus how quickly it got down to 3 degrees. It's a 12/24v power supply but with a convertor it will plug into 220v. Once it reaches your pre determined set temperature it turns itself off, just tripping in as the internal temperature rises, as opposed to my existing thermoelectric cool box which would operate continually unless unplugged.
Yes it was an expense purchase although it was also a very good saving on retail, I can safely camp in the knowledge that if I am solely relying on my 60watt solar panel it will cope for several days with out fear of draining the battery.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Very nice. 8)

Return to “Bongo Chat”