Help me make a choice

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help me make a choice

Post by glasvegas77 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I am very close to putting a deposit down on a bongo. I have whittled it down to 3 and would appreciate peoples' thoughts based on my usage. I would primarily be using it as a second car and pootling about the suburbs, to nursery and the shops etc. At the weekends we would take our 2 year old to the country for picnics and occasionally camp with the use of a drive away awning/tent, up to 60-80 miles on A roads.. I also might have to lug a few cases and kegs of beer to festivals.
I am going for a tin-top as they are cheaper and handle better and it is our first bongo so we can upgrade if we start to use it a lot more. We have had a T4 and T5 in the past with a full conversion but a. don't have that kind of money now and b. Wouldn't get the full se of it and c. want something slightly smaller.
I will also be going for an unconverted van, i.e., an 8 seater and just use camping equipment when required. The vans I'm looking at are new imports and are very similarly priced.

1. 2001, 2.0 petrol, about 40k miles. This is a more desirable colour for us which makes me lean towards it slightly. 3 month warranty.

2. 2002, 2.5 V6 petrol, again around 40k miles. Two tone colour not as desirable, but ok and comes with a 36 month warranty (third party).

3. 2003, 2.0 petrol, 60k miles, colour acceptable, 3 month warranty.

All comments are welcome.
Ian
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Help me make a choice

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Welcome to the Forum. 8)

If they are all very good condition then consider the V6 is very sooth and powerful, the 2 ltr is much simpler and so cheaper to run.

From what you say about your use I'd likely go for the 2 ltr then it's down to newer or the colour you like.

I would go newer, Mrs B would buy the colour she liked - therefor we would have the colour she wanted. :wink:
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Cheers Bob.
Sounds like I have to let my wife decide! It also sounds like mileage differences aren't much of a deal and that newer is better.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Please bear in mind that the majority of 3rd Party Warranties in my experience are not worth the actual paper that they are printed on, especially so on a JDM import of elder years.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Cheers flanners. I'll write that off then!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 pm

For me the biggest factor would be rust or lack of it. The cleanest most rust free example would be my choice.

If the seller allows, remove the rear door pockets (one screw) as this lets you view the arches from inside and to check if they are rusty. Sometimes they get filled and sprayed on the outside but it doesn't last.

Another factor would be of any of them have the aero body kit as it makes it look, in my opinion, much more modern.
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks Sotal

I will ask some questions to them but as I am in Scotland I'll have to ask them to check this and check on pick up day.
All three have the Aero kit.

Cheers
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 am

Previous MOT'S may have picked up corrosion. If they have then check it's been repaired properly.

I'd check the service history and choose the one that's been lbest maintained. 😎
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:58 am

Cheers Doone
All fresh imports so should hopefully be clean enough but no MOTs
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Doone wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 am Previous MOT'S may have picked up corrosion. If they have then check it's been repaired properly.

I'd check the service history and choose the one that's been lbest maintained. 😎
In your comprehensive experience on here are the new imports with the waxoyl seal protected for a certain period or can they arrive rusted too?
Are you familiar with importers in Middlesbrough and Stockport. The stock looks pretty good there and not too far south for me?

Cheers
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:00 pm

They don't underseal in Japan but your importer may underseal as standard or as an extra. Or you can get it done elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with the areas you mentioned. :)
But a quick search on the forum found these mentioned -
"...Wheelquick, in Wigan, and Adrian at (I think) Jap Direct, in Bury..."
If it's either of those, I've only heard good things about them.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Both very well thought of. 8)
glasvegas77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glasvegas77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Are you able to tell me if these guys sell Bongos and where they advertise them. Most I've seen are on Gumtree and Ebay but can't find Bongos from these guys.

Pointers on how to investigate would be welcome. Or maybe the old telephone system may be in order!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Adrian doesnt sell Bongos, just services them (I use him - he's excellent). Wheelquick are excellent also and certainly used to sell Bongo. Have a google for their website and stock

Return to “Bongo Chat”