Looking for our first Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BananaBanunka
Apprentice Bongonaut

Looking for our first Bongo

Post by BananaBanunka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi,
I am looking for a specific conversion layout. We have 3 kids and 2 dogs, so are looking for a 6 seat side conversion (which seem to be quite hard to find). We need 4 seats in the back with seatbelts, a full side conversion (with cupboards and storage) and a pop up roof. I have found one that is like what we are looking for but it is 175 miles from us and difficult to go and see.
Does anyone know of any that are for sale? We have a budget of $8-10k, ideally we would want one that has done under 100k miles and that is is good working order, a long MOT etc etc. A bike rack would be a plus as would a pull out awning. We are based in the midlands and ready to buy over the next few weeks.
I am probably asking for the earth, but worth a post!
Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Looking for our first Bongo

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi Sarah

Welcome aboard. 8)

Since you have a very specific requirement I think it would be worth travelling to view one, you might be lucky and find what you wan't just down the road, but... [-o<

Bear in mind these are quite small vehicles and chidren tend to grow... It might be worth considering something bigger, but obviously depends on all your circumstances.

Good luck with your search. :)
BananaBanunka
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BananaBanunka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you Bob,

The children are all quite big (11,12,15 - all boys). The Bongo is for me and my other half to sleep in - they will have a pod in an awning / tent. It just needs to be the right set up to get all of us to where we are going - plus the 2 dogs (labs - they aren't small either...), but when we get there, the Bongo becomes a child free zone...

Maybe there are other set-ups that I should consider?

Best Regards

Sarah
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:16 pm

It really is a case of what suits you best.

Worth looking at as many as you can and, ideally, talk to owners who are not selling and find out how their particular set up works for them.

Sellers will always say what they have is the best thing ever. :wink:

If there's a Meet you can get to it's worth popping in and chatting, but be aware a lot of peeps are out from about 10.00 - 16.00, especially on a Saturday.

A similar thread has been on here recently, worth a look, and it may be worth finding an un-converted Bongo and trying it 'as is' before commiting to a conversion - a good base vehicle is worth a lot more than the perfect conversion.

We now have a caravan but do still occasionally sleep on the front/middle seats. Four of the kneeling mats from garden centre/Poundland cut to size to fill the depressions and a camping mat produce a pretty good bed.

You're welcome to call by and look at ours if you're passing, or we're in Staffordshire and Worcestershire over the next 3 weeks. 8)

Return to “Bongo Chat”