Pop up roof - alternative locking system available?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Roots81
Apprentice Bongonaut

Pop up roof - alternative locking system available?

Post by Roots81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 pm

hello and HELP!
we have a 2005 new shape Bongo with a pop up roof fitted by JAL autos. The roof locks with 2 roof locks on the top/outside and it is truly awful. We need a ladder to reach the locks; the roof locks are tiny and bend (think suitcase type keys); the locking mechanism and bolts are temperamental , much up and downing of the roof (gently so the roof bolts do not shoot off which they did once, £40 to replace and then have replacement ones fitted) ;the bolts bend and move and the whole experience is a nightmare and the anxiety of it can completely ruin the last day of any holiday in the van! There must be an alternative, 'inside' locking system available??? If anyone knows of one and where it can be fitted - North or NW preferred - please please let us know? We do not want an electric system and would like to keep the pop up but if we cannot get rid of the current outside suitcase locking mechanism,then we will have to fork out for the cost of a replacement tin top.We were newbies to the Bongo when we went to JAL and if I had known their roof locking system was this poor/ bad/unsuitable I would have gone elsewhere....living and learning as we all are!! thanks ,any suggestions or fitters welcomed!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Re: Pop up roof - alternative locking system available?

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:51 pm

I strongly suggest you go back to Phil, if you haven't already! I had to have mine adjusted to work properly. Dave, the mechanic in Worcester who does Phil's work, may also be able to help you.

I had to adjust my pointy things several times. If you're experiencing juddering when driving at any speed, you may need a rubber shark tooth/fin rubber thingy in front of the roof above the windscreen - works a treat.

Yes, I had to carry a telescopic ladder with me all the time because I couldn't reach up there. You need to be able to see down when closing the roof. Thankfully, my telescopic ladder is now kept in the shed!

Come and find me at Stourport - we can have a longer chat about these roofs.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Also, you might want to consider putting an AFT on instead of a tintop. There are quite a few good ones at bongo garages where they are being replaced by the Drivelodge roofs.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:02 pm

The problem isn't really a problem at all. The hinges etc need adjusting once everything has settled in.As Jilly says find her (or me) at the Bash or contact Phil.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Bongo Chat”