ROI Bongo travelling to Glastonbury

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Alkers
Bongolier

ROI Bongo travelling to Glastonbury

Post by Alkers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi there,

We're planning our first trip abroad with the Bongo, heading to the Glastonbury festival at the end of the month.
We're getting the ferry from ROI to Pembroke and then taking the M4 and M5 by Swansea, Cardif, Bristol and Bridgwater.

Bongo should be in good health, we've done over 30,000km over the last 4-years of ownership, have replaced most coolant hoses, timing belt done, regular oil changes etc but as the travel dates get nearer, I'm starting to get nervous about the possible consequences a mechanical issue would have on our holiday (there's 6 of us travelling over in the van).

We have AA cover so should have some mechanical assistance should anything happen but as an added contingency, does anyone know of any bongo-friendly garages along the above route, just in case anything more-serious were to happen?

Much appreciated :!:
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: ROI Bongo travelling to Glastonbury

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm

ADS, Ashton, Bristol.

Have a great trip, and we're just SW of Bristol if you need anything, but we are at Stourport.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm

That's perfect, they certainly look like they're familiar with a bongo and they're located pretty handy to our route. They'll be our contingency plan so, many thanks =D>
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Hello alkers
That sounds like a great trip ......enjoy !
To be honest these are a very reliable bus and most of the mechs on them can be sorted by any good mechanic .
Well sorted, these I think , could travel arounð the world ..........(there's a thought )
We have brought ours to France 5/6 times sense we bought it , 3 years and 30000 miles with no problems .
It's well serviced and with your break down cover your in the black
Safe traveling and tell us how you got on !
Brian
peridot
Junior Bongonaut

Post by peridot » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm ... but we are at Stourport.
Are you planning on staging a sit in Bob ... Glastonbury is the weekend after :D

I'm sure you'll be fine Alkers. I'm in Newport and if you have any problems in South Wales I'd be happy to help a fellow Bongonaut if I could. I'll PM my mobile number.

Enjoy the festival .. I'm mad jealous :mrgreen:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

Might be a 'stick in' if it rains. :lol:
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Well, we made it without any issues! Had one close call with the temp gauge rising (mine is modified to react quicker) in stop-start traffic on a steep hill in a rural Irish town, pulled over to let it cool down which it did in less than a minute or two.

Saw loads of other Bongos in the campervan site but didn't get talking to any owners.

Thanks for the kind words!

*Edit trying to post photos but getting the following error: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Glad it went well. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 am

Alkers wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:34 pm *Edit trying to post photos but getting the following error: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
Yes this forum software is a pain for posting photos. I dont bother any more these days - keep my pics on google photos and offer a link to them on here so those interested can click and view. If several photos with a common theme (e.g. Glastonbury 2019) i create an album on google and offer a link to that.

Return to “Bongo Chat”