Bongo-friendly parking, Edinburgh

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Bongo-friendly parking, Edinburgh

Post by Muzorewa » Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Does anyone know any Bongo-friendly carparks in central Edinburgh, they mostly seem to be less than 2.1m and even the park & ride is 1.9m which is no use at all. We'd need about 4 or 5 hours. There's a Sainsbury's opposite the Straiton park & ride (just off the A701 south of the city bypass), anyone know if you can park there for a few hours or does it have ANPR on the entrance?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo-friendly parking, Edinburgh

Post by Bob » Mon May 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Might be worth looking at a campsite near a bus stop?

We stayed on a Caravan Club one a few years back with a direct bus into town. :wink:
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Tue May 07, 2019 10:14 am

If I'm down in Edinburgh I generally park out of town in a train station where I can park for free (Bathgate/Livingston/Uphall) and just get the train in to save me having to find somewhere (although check there are no problems on the line first as I've been caught out). I haven't used the Park and Ride down there - that's not so good about it being such a low barrier - I'd assume a lot of motorhomers would want to park there too! There is a bit of onstreet parking in the city centre but you might be driving around a bit before you find a spot and it obviously gets harder depending on what day you go and what time as well.

If you have a specific area you're going to in Edinburgh this website can be quite good for helping: https://en.parkopedia.co.uk
I'm not sure if you've seen it before but you can put the height of your vehicle in with the filters which is handy!
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies - looks like a train from a nearby local station is the way to go, they don't appear to have height barriers on them, or the ones I've checked out on Goggle Maps don't appear to.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 am

In future Bongos will not be able to drive into the centre. http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/connectingp ... sion_zones There is free parking at most Tram stations and the ones I've used near airport don't have height barriers.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Whilst it seems you are akin to the devil to criticize any type of green planning these days. Such schemes sit on the wrong side of descriminating
against people who have least money available. Got a brand new car or an electric one and you are welcome, despite the pollution just being
shifted to elsewhere .i.e. manufacturing stage.

Also C02 is clearly a huge problem and petrol vehicles produce more than diesels. It is not just N0x that is an issue. If what comes out of a new petrol engine car is so green try locking yourself in a garge with the engine running, see how green that feels.

I tell you what is greener, stop manufacturing any type of car at all and use the ones we have and repair them instead of scrapping them and buying a new one.

It is obviously a very very serious situation we have gotten ourselves into over the last 150 years, seems poor people (land loss) or less well off people in developed world will pay the price first in various different ways.

I appreciate air pollution/quality is a different yet part of the same issue of climate change.

There are things that could be done but are not. How about 55mph speed limit overnight that would cut
25pct pollution overnight from driving in the mid 70's mph. How about £250.00 for people who insist on running their
engine for longer than 1 min when sat at the roadside ?

How about pulling over badly maintained vehicles, gushing blak smoke, issuing an on the spot £200.00 fine and then insisting on repairs
or the vehicle is taken and crushed ?

All busses should be gas. Anyone wanting to be a taxi driver must be hybrid or electric.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 08, 2019 5:03 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 pm Whilst it seems you are akin to the devil to criticize any type of green planning these days. Such schemes sit on the wrong side of descriminating
against people who have least money available. Got a brand new car or an electric one and you are welcome, despite the pollution just being
shifted to elsewhere .i.e. manufacturing stage.

Also C02 is clearly a huge problem and petrol vehicles produce more than diesels. It is not just N0x that is an issue. If what comes out of a new petrol engine car is so green try locking yourself in a garge with the engine running, see how green that feels.

I tell you what is greener, stop manufacturing any type of car at all and use the ones we have and repair them instead of scrapping them and buying a new one.

It is obviously a very very serious situation we have gotten ourselves into over the last 150 years, seems poor people (land loss) or less well off people in developed world will pay the price first in various different ways.

I appreciate air pollution/quality is a different yet part of the same issue of climate change.

There are things that could be done but are not. How about 55mph speed limit overnight that would cut
25pct pollution overnight from driving in the mid 70's mph. How about £250.00 for people who insist on running their
engine for longer than 1 min when sat at the roadside ?

How about pulling over badly maintained vehicles, gushing blak smoke, issuing an on the spot £200.00 fine and then insisting on repairs
or the vehicle is taken and crushed ?

All busses should be gas. Anyone wanting to be a taxi driver must be hybrid or electric.

Well spoken,you could also mention banning the use of All unnessesary chemical products on vehicles.

Chemical Pollution
Chemical pollution is the introduction of substances into the environment (by man) that are liable to harm human health, living resources and ecological systems, damage structures or generally interfere with the legitimate use of the environment.

Take care.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon May 13, 2019 7:49 am

Well if anyone is in a similar predicament I can recommend parking at the station in Wallyford (just to the east of the city bypass, no height barrier and good camera coverage) and get a train to Edinburgh Waverley, free parking and £4.00 return on the train, and it's only 10 minutes each way. It's a lot less bovver than a hovver :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:34 am

Really useful. 8)

Return to “Bongo Chat”