Rearview mirror dash cam

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

Rearview mirror dash cam

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 pm

I know there has been a bit of talk on here recently about dash cams. I've decided to put one in the bongo but have some quite specific requirements.

I'd like it to be a rear view mirror style one.

I want it to be able to permanently show the rear camera. We quite often can't see it of the rear screen so a live view out of the rear would be great.

I want a front camera that is fit and forget just in case something ever happens.

I'm not sure if a rear view camera as I talked about above would be suitable for parking, so I might need two rear cameras and a choice to switch between them. If possible putting it into reverse switches to a different camera that looks down more?

Budget of around £50, willing to spend a bit more for something that is perfect.

Any thoughts what might fit the bill? Would appreciate some first hand experience.

I take it the ones with little 4 inch screens would be no use? I'm looking at ones with 8" plus touch screens.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Rearview mirror dash cam

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

The link I posted for the one I fitted might work for you. The unit can be switched between front only, front with a small rear image or just the rear camera. The reversing image depends on how / where you mount the camera. Mine is high up because it's used as a rear camera for recording any rear end accident. You could compromise and fit the camera lower (number plate height). I already had a reversing camera attached to the head unit so I have both when reversing (handy to see high up with bikes on rear rack).

I'm not sure of the legality of a video image that can be seen by the driver, by default min goes into screen saver mode after 1 min and continues to record in background. Just touching the screen wakes it up for use.

I do see a lot of cars with dash cams constantly showing the images - can be distracting in my view. Doubt you'd get pulled over for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am

I looked at that one and the slightly more expensive updated version with better video and 8" screen.

Is the interface/controls good? Is it reliable? Can I just got and forget with respect to recording?

I'm wondering if I could buy a second rear camera, then setup a circuit to switch between the two cameras when reverse is selected? Perhaps a relay off the reverse wire which then changes the signal write from one camera to the other. Then set to record on both front and rear.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am

You might be pushing the limits. The unit has two streams, one from the front cam built into the mirror unit and the other from the rear camera. The rear camera can be always on, or just when reversing (using the red wire attached to the reversing light positive). If you angle the camera down a bit, as it's a wide angle you'll see directly behind. Or have the camera at number plate height rather than top of rear window. If the camera is inside rear window, the wiper will sweep the glass and give a clear view. Outside the camera gets a lot of dirt and wet on it in winter making it can be a bit useless. I hear what you say about the switched feeds between two rear mounted cameras - but that's out of my league for 'sparky' tasks. :mrgreen:

PS I've two of these units - one in each vehicle - have had them 12 months without any issue. Buy a decent micro sd to deal with the recording, some people say they wear out and need replacing but that's not my experience so far.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm

The above image shows the kind of thing I was after (just found this on the internet)

I'm thinking that if I had that set up and replaced the arduino on the right with the feed from the reversing light then it would simply switch the video feed over. The cameras could both be powered by the same permanent feed that allows the rear camera to be fed all the time but when the reverse gear is selected, the cameras would switch. Recording could carry on as normal but would switch from the rear view to the reversing view.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Ordered the 8" Toguard.

Will try it out with just one camera to start and see what sort of angles I can get. I'll see if it is possible to get an image that covers both.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:26 pm

I found the cable to the rear camera can be tucked behind the roof level trim and then across top of windscreen under roof panels. Struggled to get the cable through the flexible rubber conduit on rear door. Let us know how you get on.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Will do. The positioning of the rear camera will be the trickiest part. We have a permanent Thule 4 bike, bike rack attached to the tailgate so I need to get a good shot through that.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Techmoan does excellent dash cam reviews

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Mines a Thule 2 bike rack. Not bad without bikes but restricted with both bikes on,

Return to “Bongo Chat”