Bit of a close one today

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

Bit of a close one today

Post by sotal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Had a long journey (very windy, the bongo kept getting caught by the wind!) today, after about 2 hours of 60-70mph driving we slowed for the first time. There was a nasty noise coming from the drivers side wheel as we slowed down. I pulled over to check out out. Somehow I presume due to a gust of wind the thin mud flap had bent right up so it had gone past the tyre and was now resting on it. The mud flap now has a big hole melted through it! Easy enough to push back down, but when I did that I noticed that the inner edge of the tyre had gone! There were just metal spikes sticking out from the mesh.

Now I'd checked the tyres before leaving and although I did comment on both the fronts being a bit worn on the edges, they were both legal when I left!

So a quick change for the spare and I finished the journey off (5 minutes away) then headed for the nearest tyre garage. New tyre fitted and the spare back underneath. 4 wheel laser alignment showed the front os to be well out and the be side to just be far enough out to get a red warning on the computer. All corrected now and able to carry on.

I don't think the mud flap had anything to do with the damage but if it hasn't freakishly flipped up (never known anything like it!) Then I doubt if have looked and could well have ended up with a blow out.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bit of a close one today

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Glad it all ended well. O:)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Bob
Supreme Being