Now do I jump and buy the Bongo ??

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Shazzza
Apprentice Bongonaut

Now do I jump and buy the Bongo ??

Post by Shazzza » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:01 am

Newbie here! Been to see a Bongo. I've checked the MOT history online, asked all the right questions. Got them to put the roof up and down, etc....went for a drive in it, so do I say yes ?

There's a little niggle in that the ABS warning light comes on intermittently. ABS works fine, but one of the sensors has a short or has stopped working.

It's a price I can afford and I like the couple selling. Just hear so many horror stories - been lurking on FB pages for the last 10 months....

HELP!
:)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Now do I jump and buy the Bongo ??

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:10 am

If the cills and arches are in good condition and have been checked for corrosion or previous replacement its worth considering.
With regard to the ABS light, it might be a poor connection or something around the sensing disk, had this myself last Spring very heavy dew overnight seem to be the cause (not totally proven) so it would flag an error light first thing but after an hour or so it would restart fine with no error, and hasn't re-occurred since. Should it be a sensor failure they are expensive to replace for the matching item, however there are several similar units at much better prices to be had, exact modifications to make them fit have never been detailed but you will find reference on here to such modifications.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 am

Welcome. Have you looked at many Bongos (including prodding about underneath in suspect places with torch and sharp screwdriver). Its important not to jump too quickly even though its hard to hold back (trust me i know esp. with the camping season starting). These are old (if reliable usually) cars and rust especially is an issue. Good luck regardless.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 am

Bear in mind many people only post when they have a problem so it's a bit like sitting in A&E and thinking all people have medical emergencies. 8)

Return to “Bongo Chat”