Reasonable price to change rear springs?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Reasonable price to change rear springs?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Just wondering what a reasonble price would be to swap Bongo rear springs
with a set I have here ? Thanks
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Reasonable price to change rear springs?

Post by Flanners » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Would think it would be at the most a quote for an hour's labour a side
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 am

Can't advise on cost but I'll be very interested to hear if new springs improve the handling noticeably. Good luck with it and keep us posted bb123
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi Mike nd Flanners, I have a sequence of events to deal with before get to this spring swap. I suspect there wil be no difference at a
guess and that the main ride imporvement would come from the shock absorbers. A spring, is a spring, is a spring
if it is a standard Bongo one at a guess.

Mine are a bit rusty so my concern is it cracking and sticking into the side wall of a tyre which I have seen on here. Nasty.

So thought it best to sort them out, most likely in 2-3 weeks time.

Yes I was thinking about £100.00 thereabouts.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 pm

We had ours changed a couple of weeks back but can't say how much as had a couple of other things done too plus the mechanic had to work around the air lift. No change noticed handling wise.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:40 pm

That sequence of events includes today's MOT, just passed (needed balljoint dust cover £25.00 so cannot grumble).
I will sort the rear springs very soon within the week I suspect "about £60.00" quoted.. and I have new pads to put on. (I guess £50.00 again :roll: )

Got some new ADL Blueprint ones. I bought them before I saw someone suggest Mintex pads which I would have been happy to try....tbh the price difference is pennies (all £20.00) so I am not sure where ADL Blueprint got the "cheaper end of the market" tag from.

They are all German made and the ADL Blueprint pads on the new disks pull up very nicely, notwithstanding the squeal at low brake pressures (which suggests resonance before they clamp up enough to kill it.) I have something called Mintex Ceretec brake grease which I will ask them to smear on.

If they still squeal after all of this then I give up. Mintex, Blueprint, whatevers, by the looks of it both rated as being ok.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum ... vs-mintex/

I would have happily went Mintex had I read that to rule out the Blueprint pad formulation. I strongly suspect the lack of brake grease being the culprit. In due course I shall find out. I hope I am not just burning money, but the squeal will drive me nuts for years on end.

Edit to add : Ok I thought better of it and ordered the Mintex then I have covered all bases to kill the squeal. £16.50 delivered is a decent price and then I have the other as spares.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 pm

I have decided until we find out what is going on with the B word I am waiting to do anything on the Bongo. Why ? Messing around with anything
on a 24 year old vehicle that is not 100pct essential has a little risk associated with it. So rather than something break during a spring switch in this crucial period I will leave well alone until we know more about what is going to happen. Will get them done if and when things settle down. I will live with the brake squeal for now as well.

Return to “Bongo Chat”