Knocking noise going over bumps

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Adrian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Knocking noise going over bumps

Post by Adrian » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi. My Bongo makes a knocking noise when travelling on bumpy roads. I read other posts and have checked all the bushes and drop links and I cannot find anything obvious. The rubber block under the gearbox is loose but I think it is meant to be like this. I am in the Tunbridge Wells area and would appreciate any idea's. In the meantime, I need to fix the heater fan fuse block, once I have found it!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Knocking noise going over bumps

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Probably droplinks and/or antiroll bar bushes. They tend to need replacing every few years on Bongos, given the potholed state of the roads :(
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:20 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm Probably droplinks and/or antiroll bar bushes. They tend to need replacing every few years on Bongos, given the potholed state of the roads :(

Replace them all at the same time and it will be like a new vehicle.When doing antiroll bar bushes it's worth replacing the brackets at same time.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:56 am

I suspect droplinks too.
An unexplained noise we had for a couple of weeks was a spanner left in the engine bay by a mechanic.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:34 pm

al & chris wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:20 pm
mikeonb4c wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm Probably droplinks and/or antiroll bar bushes. They tend to need replacing every few years on Bongos, given the potholed state of the roads :(

Replace them all at the same time and it will be like a new vehicle.When doing antiroll bar bushes it's worth replacing the brackets at same time.
Great advice. Doing them all at once lets you know the best it can be.
Adrian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Adrian » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Update. Almost there. As suggested, I bought drop links, bushes and new brackets. Drop links now replaced. Bushes are another story. The nuts were very tight, even with plenty WD40 applied. Offside replace but not happy with condition of nut and would like to replace them. Nearside not started because they are even tighter, so want to get replacement nuts first. I have read on the forums that they are M10 Fine Pitch. Does anybody know what the pitch of the thread is. On ebay, you can get 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 pitch nuts. Any ideas. Just ordered some Plus Gas to see if it can do a better job
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:28 pm

You could ask these guys, as they sell the full kit, including the nuts

https://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/new/ ... set-front/

Return to “Bongo Chat”