Suspected gearbox fault fixed!!!!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

allaboutfords
Apprentice Bongonaut

Suspected gearbox fault fixed!!!!

Post by allaboutfords » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi every one I have been having an issue recently where my 2.5td 2wd bongo wouldn't change up into 4th when cold but when warm would. This gradually got worse where it wouldn't change into third unless you released throttle and let it coast for a bit then reapplied throttle. It still wouldn't go over 45 ish as it wouldn't change up at all. Then on Monday I was slowing up for a junction and it cut out as though it hadn't changed down gear. I then had an issue getting up a hill and it would only do 25 if lucky. I noticed when on the flat the revs topped out at about 2.5k if you stopped and put in neutral it would rev fine. Yesterday it became undriveable and seamed as though wouldn't change up properly and when it did wouldn't change down at all at any junction. I got it in the workshop today and revved it up to about 3k for 10 mins then it hesitated and the revs started to fluctuate. I gave it a bit more pedal and it got worse to the point when I let off it cut out. Deffo not gearbox fault. I cleaned the crank sensor which was dirty but made no difference. Checked the tps switch and worked fine so moved on to fuel changed the filter which was pretty clean inside again no difference. I then decided it was time to look at the tank so removed the sender (Nightmare all the screws were made of toffee and wouldn't undo with anything so had to drill the heads off). I thought it a bit odd that diesel didn't pour out the pipes when disconnected. When I looked in the tank it wasn't spotless but I noticed part of the swirl pot had collapsed in and was restricting fuel getting in (on the left of the pic) so I forced it open and jambed in a piece of cambelt folded over.

Guess what? Drives mint now changes into all gears hot, cold, uphill, downhill and dosent cut out. :D :D :D

Cant add the picture when i click on insert image it just types img/img
If I go on add files it says file to large how do I make it smaller?
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Re: Suspected gearbox fault fixed!!!!

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am

Have a look at the Guidance section relating to the linking of photos: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74175
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 am

Great result =D>
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:33 pm

From memory I thought they would only go in to top gear when the gearbox / engine reached a certain temp?
allaboutfords
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by allaboutfords » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm

It might be right but sounds a bit odd. I live 2 mins from a dual carriage way and from stone cold in the winter it will go into 4th on there.

Return to “Bongo Chat”