Bongo tidy up and Vrt!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Re: Bongo tidy up and Vrt!

Post by Purple Haze » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Merlot man wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 pm Just looking at the last pictures ......great to see the manual gearstick in a bongo really rare :D
Brian
Hi Brian,my bongo a 2.5 diesel 4wd with a Manual gearbox,I was told they were easier on fuel,that’s why I wanted one,I don’t know how rare they are,just thought they were not many imported into the uk, :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Purple Haze wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Merlot man wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 pm Just looking at the last pictures ......great to see the manual gearstick in a bongo really rare :D
Brian
Hi Brian,my bongo a 2.5 diesel 4wd with a Manual gearbox,I was told they were easier on fuel,that’s why I wanted one,I don’t know how rare they are,just thought they were not many imported into the uk, :D
They're easier on fuel while you're in situations where you can work the box but are said to be a bit undergeared at motorway cruising speeds so juicier than the autobox. Suspect there's not tons in it and no Bongo is a Prius :roll: :lol:
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Great thread PH, going to be following your progress with interest. We usually bring our Bongo over to Electric Picnic but we're not going this year. We will be going to All Together Now, let me know if you are going and we'll hook up and talk Bongos! :D

cheers, Andy
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:35 pm

AndyS95 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm Great thread PH, going to be following your progress with interest. We usually bring our Bongo over to Electric Picnic but we're not going this year. We will be going to All Together Now, let me know if you are going and we'll hook up and talk Bongos! :D

cheers, Andy
Hi Andy,ill need a picnic the time I get my bongo finished :lol: hopefully I’ll get to meet up with a few bongo heads this year,iv never been to the electric picnic,but that’s the reason for buying my bongo,so we can get out more and get to more music festivals,hopefully see get to see yours about [-o< :D
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Decided to strip as must as possible around the wheel arches and remove the loom and air con,radiator,just so I can get the job done right,the more you strip back on these bongos the more you find,but I’m only going to once so I’m going to do my best,

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Far quicker in the long run to do it as you're doing it, and a lot more fun and motivating. =D> =D> =D>
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm Far quicker in the long run to do it as you're doing it, and a lot more fun and motivating. =D> =D> =D>
Ha,putting it back together will be fun [-o< They were to many pipes and clips in the way to do it right,it’s a good job I’m doing this work myself or it would cost a fortune to pay anyone else to strip it :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Quite the project, thanks for posting pics. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Purple Haze wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm
mikeonb4c wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm Far quicker in the long run to do it as you're doing it, and a lot more fun and motivating. =D> =D> =D>
Ha,putting it back together will be fun [-o< They were to many pipes and clips in the way to do it right,it’s a good job I’m doing this work myself or it would cost a fortune to pay anyone else to strip it :D
It certainly would. Be disciplined and label things as much as you can. Old age has taught me what i should have always known: you will not remember at reassembly time where the bits you thought you'd never forget the purpose of go #-o :cry: :lol: [-X
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Have all the rust cut out and grinded any other rust I found,primed it,now have to weld in the bits I have cut out next,then stone chip and wax oil everything,hopefully that will save her for the next few years..

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 am

Very nice indeed. =D> =D> =D>
glen400
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by glen400 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Purple Haze wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 pm Have all the rust cut out and grinded any other rust I found,primed it,now have to weld in the bits I have cut out next,then stone chip and wax oil everything,hopefully that will save her for the next few years..

Hi, all looks vantastic, did you fit a new front cross member or weld between the existing ends, from the pic does not look like you cut out the ends.

Do you have any pictures of installing the front cross member

Return to “Bongo Chat”