Newbie from Ireland

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Re: Newbie from Ireland

Post by Purple Haze » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:47 am

Merlot man wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 am Hello purple haze , welcome to the madness :lol:
I'm from donegal myself but living now in co Clare .
Rust is the killer so best deal with it sooner rather than later .
The rear arches they use seem to be from a sprinter or Vito but bongo spares are your best bet .
Check your inner and outer sills as well !
Would it be an idea to get some cuts from a breaker to do some of the repairs , I have got bits from a but in laois and the front metal work on it is fairly good , also pat touhy , mr bongo , in Galway could be worth a call he may have a breaker or two
They are a great bus but getting on now and the English and Scottish salted roads are a killer :twisted:
Best of luck with the project , it will be worth it honest :D
Pm me on here if I can be of any help
Brian
Hi Brian,good to see there another Donegal man on here 😁what part of Donegal you from?im between ballybofey and letterkenny myself.
Me and my wife tina do lots of camping and touring on my bike in the past and we had child so I thought of a camper would be good for the wee man to get out in the fresh air but didn't want anything big cause it's hard to get to the good spots in something big in Donegal and along the wild Atlantic way,plus the bongo a 4wd if I park somewhere stupid 😉Hope to see yous about sometime 👍
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the van. Have a look at this thread on bodywork, ours was rotten after a few years and we thought it would be scrap, but Bongo Spares did a pukka job on it. To do the arches properly (welded, not with filler), the inside needs to be stripped out otherwise you’ll set it all on fire and if yours is converted, that’s a big job. Ours has one of the Imperial conversions in it so it was a massive job to strip it all out.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76068

For a bit of lighter reading, have a browse through this, which did take in some of the finer points of Donegal :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=55074

Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am

Muzorewa wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am Welcome to the forum and good luck with the van. Have a look at this thread on bodywork, ours was rotten after a few years and we thought it would be scrap, but Bongo Spares did a pukka job on it. To do the arches properly (welded, not with filler), the inside needs to be stripped out otherwise you’ll set it all on fire and if yours is converted, that’s a big job. Ours has one of the Imperial conversions in it so it was a massive job to strip it all out.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76068

Hi muzorewa

For a bit of lighter reading, have a browse through this, which did take in some of the finer points of Donegal :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=55074
Hi muzaoewa,you have seen more of Ireland than I have lol,your pictures are awesome 👏looks like yous had a great time!cant believe your bongo has 480000?? That makes me feel good about my engine 😁Hopefully I can see half of those miles,the people that done the work on your bongo done a great job and the wheel arch pics will help me out when I'm doing mine!
Thanks on sending me this 👏😁

Return to “Bongo Chat”