Newbie from Ireland

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Newbie from Ireland

Post by Purple Haze » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi,we have just bought our first Mazda bongo 2.5 diesel 4wd Manual from Scotland,we have done a lot of camping on my motorbike tours in the past and its time for a roof as it never stops raining here in Ireland :D hopefully I can put up a tidy up tread as I’m on the middle of fixing our bongo up..

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Newbie from Ireland

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 am

Welcome. Looks like a nice example. Main thing to go sniffing for is rust as it'll likely have some and soonest spotted soonest sorted! Keep us posted on your tidy up thread. Love the forum name - I'm a big Hendrix fan :-)
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks mick on the welcome,don’t tak to me about rust #-o that’s why I’m tidying it up as I took the bumper of and found loads of rust,I thought I’d better start now or they will be nothing left,hopefully I’ll get a few pics of what’s I’m doing as I bought a new roof top and tent to match the rest of the bongo.. :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 am

Welcome aboard.

Bongo does look nice. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:37 am

Purple Haze wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am Thanks mick on the welcome,don’t tak to me about rust #-o that’s why I’m tidying it up as I took the bumper of and found loads of rust,I thought I’d better start now or they will be nothing left,hopefully I’ll get a few pics of what’s I’m doing as I bought a new roof top and tent to match the rest of the bongo.. :D
All i can say is they're a lot more worth (investing in and) saving than yer average car. See it as an unavoidable new hobby interest, with dividends :roll: :D
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am

Welcome welcome, where abouts in the country are you?
There's a few of us on here - I have a progress thread over on boards.ie https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... p=98009028
Needs an update!
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:37 am
Purple Haze wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am Thanks mick on the welcome,don’t tak to me about rust #-o that’s why I’m tidying it up as I took the bumper of and found loads of rust,I thought I’d better start now or they will be nothing left,hopefully I’ll get a few pics of what’s I’m doing as I bought a new roof top and tent to match the rest of the bongo.. :D
All i can say is they're a lot more worth (investing in and) saving than yer average car. See it as an unavoidable new hobby interest, with dividends :roll: :D
Lol I keep telling myself it’s going to be worth it at the end,it’s hard to stay motivated when keep handing out money and no fun yet in return,but I know it’s going to be worth it at the end [-o< [-o< [-o< :D
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 am

Bob wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 am Welcome aboard.

Bongo does look nice. 8)
Thanks bob on the welcome :D
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 am

Alkers wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am Welcome welcome, where abouts in the country are you?
There's a few of us on here - I have a progress thread over on boards.ie https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... p=98009028
Needs an update!
Hey Alkers,good to know I’m not alone over here,I’m from Donegal,we’re in Ireland you from? :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am

Purple Haze wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am
Lol I keep telling myself it’s going to be worth it at the end,it’s hard to stay motivated when keep handing out money and no fun yet in return,but I know it’s going to be worth it at the end [-o< [-o< [-o< :D
It will cost (if i total up my welding over the years it may be £2k and thats with arches still original and diy fibreglass resin/cloth repair) but i remind myself the Bongo cost me £3700 over 12 years ago and its been (and still is) a fantastic vehicle for all occasions. No other equivalent car could have provided the same ownership experience. Be sure to include metal coolant pipes to rear heater and metal gearbox fluid->radiator pipes in replacement schedule as they're highly likely to be corroded. Also, cross member that radiator sits on unless its already been done. Back of front wheel arches was a surprise find on mine also, hidden behind arch liners.
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am
Purple Haze wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am

It will cost (if i total up my welding over the years it may be £2k and thats with arches still original and diy fibreglass resin/cloth repair) but i remind myself the Bongo cost me £3700 over 12 years ago and its been (and still is) a fantastic vehicle for all occasions. No other equivalent car could have provided the same ownership experience. Be sure to include metal coolant pipes to rear heater and metal gearbox fluid->radiator pipes in replacement schedule as they're highly likely to be corroded. Also, cross member that radiator sits on unless its already been done. Back of front wheel arches was a surprise find on mine also, hidden behind arch liners.
Thanks on the advice mick,just stripped the back of the bongo today,and I wish I didn’t bother #-o could you recommend a place to buy two back quarters panels. #-o there to far gone to fix,back pockets are gone to.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 am

Hmmm. Sounds dodgy that but better you found it than not - sounds like inner wings rusted through. Bongo Spares would be good people to talk with as a start.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm

Not a good situation.

Looks in fine fettle from the photos, when were they taken? Did you purchase private or from the Trade?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Purple Haze
Bongonaut

Post by Purple Haze » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:35 am

Flanners wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm Not a good situation.

Looks in fine fettle from the photos, when were they taken? Did you purchase private or from the Trade?
Hi,The pics were taking about a week ago,when I said quarter panels,I mean wheel arches,I bought it private,
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 am

Hello purple haze , welcome to the madness :lol:
I'm from donegal myself but living now in co Clare .
Rust is the killer so best deal with it sooner rather than later .
The rear arches they use seem to be from a sprinter or Vito but bongo spares are your best bet .
Check your inner and outer sills as well !
Would it be an idea to get some cuts from a breaker to do some of the repairs , I have got bits from a but in laois and the front metal work on it is fairly good , also pat touhy , mr bongo , in Galway could be worth a call he may have a breaker or two
They are a great bus but getting on now and the English and Scottish salted roads are a killer :twisted:
Best of luck with the project , it will be worth it honest :D
Pm me on here if I can be of any help
Brian

Return to “Bongo Chat”