Buying my first Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mre3333
Apprentice Bongonaut

Buying my first Bongo

Post by mre3333 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi all, i' m buying my first Bongo next week for weekend trips away and a long tour this summer with my wife and baby. We can't wait!

I may very well be putting a deposit down on the following:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... rchad=Used

It has done 95k in miles and on visual inspection seems very tidy and rust free. I'm taking it on a test drive and a closer inspection on Saturday and wonderd if you had any tips on easy things to look out for.

Also do you think this is an acceptable price all being well for this Bongo? I assume I'm paying a premium for going through a dealer but is it excessive? Just got some jitters I guess.

Thanks

Rich
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Buying my first Bongo

Post by Flanners » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am

Looks a nice one and within the 'going rate' for that year and mileage. This is a nice basic read with some of the issues to check

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advi ... yers-guide

There is a wealth of info on here with the many issues documented and discussed; pro's and con's of Trade and Private purchase etc. I would be looking through the MoT history for starters on the internet, paper service history. is it original colour, decals etc.
Then given the age I would concentrate on the bodywork, chassis/sills and the electrics/AFT, and the engine. Correcting rot and rust properly costs a fortune so is imperative to make sure the arches and sills are sound and have not been bodged. Consider paying for a professional vehicle check.

Who converted it and when? It's a side conversion is that the right one for your needs and the best for the 3 of you? How many have you looked at, why this one?

On a personal note I would go with a private sale (unless sold 'new' by the importer/converter) have a look at the classifieds on this site; as the price is usually more agreeable and it enables me to speak to the actual owner of the vehicle to assess them, their 'passion' (or not), their knowledge etc.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 am

There is a Buying topic in the FAQ forum here see viewtopic.php?f=43&t=7229
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:41 am

It would be no disgrace for a Bongo that age to have some rust issues underneath. Get some old overalls and get underneath with a bright light and a screwdriver and prod around. Also look for signs of fresh underseal and inspect closely there esp if its black underseal not clear waxoyl. Some key areas are sills, along the length and at the ends, including inside both rear arches and rear face of front inner arches. Also around the rear heater area (and do the metal pipes from the gearbox look rusty - drivers side behind drivers door). Then there's the cross member underneath the radiator, the rear crossmember tucked up behind the rear bumper, the area hidden behind the rear silencer hear guard, bottom of tailgate, and the rear arches seen from the outside, though these last two could easily be cosmetically repaired for the sale so.. .. All this is fixable at a cost but when welding is involved the conversion may have to be removed to do it which ups the cost. And of course its mechanical stuff needs checking also. Top of these is the coolant system - does the header tank show any sign of rust staining? Is the top hose crunchy when you squeeze it. Does the temp gauge come up to the 11 oclock position 5 mins after driving it. And I'd ask the dealer to leave it cold so you can check its cold starting is good and not lumpy (which would indicate glow plug issues). The price is decent if its a good one, but the last bit is crucial. I would in any case want to have £2k as a contingency fund in case of unspotted trouble, with an old Bongo. I'm not sure private sellers can be trusted much more than dealers when selling old Bongos - its defo buyer beware. But they're a great design :-)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am

Hi mre3333, nice motor, what is the registration number ??
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 am

This private seller can be trusted; he lives 3 doors up from me and has promised me a case of beer if I can help him sell it :lol:

https://igmaynard.co.uk/blog/2019/01/11 ... rew-flude/

I walk past it twice a day. It's an unconverted (8 seater) diesel that is in fantastic mechanical condition for its age. It's got a few body work blemishes, and a hub cap missing, but other than that it's fine. If you are after a camper conversion lots of firms out there will fit one for about £3k, maybe less. Then you've got yourself a good quality campervan for around £6,000. I'm sure Andrew will accept a reasonable offer.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mre3333
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mre3333 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 pm

I did it!

I am now a proud owner of Shackleton my very own 96 Bongo. :D
I am so glad this forum is here it has helped me out so much already in helping to pick the right one for us.
I already have a list of mods i want to do, mostly electrical. DO you think this is something an amateur hobbyist can do?

-Immobilizer / remote central locking - currently has key based central locking
-Wiring in a tracker https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-s ... ps-tracker
-Reversing sensors

I have noticed a few issues and wonder if its worth taking it back or fixing myself, what do you think?
-Front left speaker has no sound
-Squeaking belt sound when starting cold idle, goes when you rev. Tighten alternator belt?
-AFT worked fine when i tested it before buying. Today (Cold and snow) it get 99% of the way to the top and i have to give it a little push to get to the finish and to get the beeps to stop. Could it just be the cold and in need of fresh grease

Thanks again for all your help. Any input you can give would be hugely appreciated.

Rich
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:37 am

Hi mre3333, nice motor, what is the registration number ???
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 am

Most of the jobs you mention are quite viable for a DiY provided you have tools and a reasonable approach, bear in mind that Insurance firms only count professionally fitted items for insurance purposes, however those attacking a vehicle aren't to know who or how it was fitted ....

Left speaker, possibly a broken loom connection but the passenger side isn't normally the vulnerable one, worth checking the connectors on the rear of the radio/audio first before opening the door up.

Squeaking belts could be air con / alternator spray some water over each belt in turn and see if it has an effect.

AFT yes quite likely the cold air, but its also an indicator that the gas struts are getting tired with age and need replacement see https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boo ... azda/bongo
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mre3333
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mre3333 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi, my reg number is P187ENP.

Well job 1 done passenger speaker was disconnected at the speaker. I think I'm going to like this bongo everything seems relatively easy to get to unlike my last few cars.

Day 2 and I made my first Bongo friend, they parked up next to me at the supermarket. Had a good chat and compared bongos.

I have a couple more questions , where do you recommend I get a rear parking mirror mine was ripped off.
Do you know of any insurers who offer gap insurance on a Bongo.

Thanks

Rich
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 pm

The three main shops are Bongoland - the Bongo Fury Shop here on this site https://bongoland.co.uk/product/mazda-b ... ng-mirror/
or
MazdaBongo.com https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... ll-models/
or
and Bongo Spares https://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/body ... or-mirror/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:04 pm

mre3333 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 pm Hi, my reg number is P187ENP.

Well job 1 done passenger speaker was disconnected at the speaker. I think I'm going to like this bongo everything seems relatively easy to get to unlike my last few cars.

Day 2 and I made my first Bongo friend, they parked up next to me at the supermarket. Had a good chat and compared bongos.

I have a couple more questions , where do you recommend I get a rear parking mirror mine was ripped off.
Do you know of any insurers who offer gap insurance on a Bongo.

Thanks

Rich
I just fitted a £40 Ebay reversing camera much better

Return to “Bongo Chat”