Protective van cover

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

joandmartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Protective van cover

Post by joandmartin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi
Can anyone recommend a breathable protective cover for winter? I thought I saw one that somebody recommended but can't find it now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated?
Many thanks
Jo
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Protective van cover

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi. 8)

Ian had them in the Bongo Shop, but I can'tfind them. Could be me having a 'man look'. :oops:

Pretty sure they were designed for the Mercedes Vito, and there's this type:

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/campervan ... A3EALw_wcB

Bear in mind if you have a pop top it will sit a little higher. :wink:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Personally I just would not cover any vehicle outside, save for when under trees/bird excrement if there was no other place to park or any option to move the vehicle and the cover would have to be a bespoke fit for the vehicle (generic never fit correctly).

No cover is truly breatheable and with rapid freeze/thaw and fluctuating temperatures in the UK Winter, the condensation and water is trapped against the bodywork, causing water spots and possible micro blistering, a warm wet environment (great for rust) also factor in cover movement in winds and possible damage to the finish of the paint from luffing. If you are using the vehicle and then covering it afterwards the situation would be even more detrimental to the car, with road filth and salt on the bodywork acting like sandpaper under the cover. What are you trying to protect or prevent, that a proper clean, polish and wax cannot almost achieve? There is some opinion to suggest that even when using a garage for your car, driving it in wet/salty etc can exacerbate corrosion.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 am

Flanners wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm Personally I just would not cover any vehicle outside, save for when under trees/bird excrement if there was no other place to park or any option to move the vehicle and the cover would have to be a bespoke fit for the vehicle (generic never fit correctly).

No cover is truly breatheable and with rapid freeze/thaw and fluctuating temperatures in the UK Winter, the condensation and water is trapped against the bodywork, causing water spots and possible micro blistering, a warm wet environment (great for rust) also factor in cover movement in winds and possible damage to the finish of the paint from luffing. If you are using the vehicle and then covering it afterwards the situation would be even more detrimental to the car, with road filth and salt on the bodywork acting like sandpaper under the cover. What are you trying to protect or prevent, that a proper clean, polish and wax cannot almost achieve? There is some opinion to suggest that even when using a garage for your car, driving it in wet/salty etc can exacerbate corrosion.

Totally Agree =D> =D> =D> =D>
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pmIan had them in the Bongo Shop, but I can't find them.
We don't stock them anymore. The manufacturers changed the dimensions and they became too tight to fit on a Bongo.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 pm

That's why our Ferdinand's modeling career is over. :(
Carlwhite78
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Carlwhite78 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:45 pm

We used a cover for our bongo last year, got it all cleaned and waxed and wanted to protect from tree sap. When we removed it, the paint work looks almost watermarked. It’s gradually fading but if anyone has any tips on getting rid I’m all ears!

We haven’t used the cover this year!
8) V6

Return to “Bongo Chat”