Alternatives to Bongos?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

booms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Alternatives to Bongos?

Post by booms » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Not sure if this is a sensitive topic!

I'm very taken with the idea of a Bongo, but there are a few issues.

If I've understood right there aren't any ULEZ compliant Bongos, so I'm looking at post 2006 cars like Elgrands, Alphards and maybe VW Transporters.

As these are still in production, that'll probably help with parts and resale values a few years down the line?

They also seem well priced. I found this Alphard which seems to be in great nick and just needs a conversion. Is this maybe a better direction now?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ars&page=1

I'm also thinking if the plan is to spend 3 months in Europe on a road trip, it might be best just to buy a VW Transporter and hope the 'better' depreciation keeps it cheaper, as parts and repairs should be easier.

Any thoughts?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Alternatives to Bongos?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I can see the appeal of a more slick modern vehicle but there is no lifting roof option and for me
the AFT is a big deal with Bongo's. Also I bet the Alphard is one of those cars that cost
dearly when they go wrong, probably highly computerised you pay for the diagnostics
and everything costs an arm and a leg to sort out and you can do next to nothing yourself.

That particular Alphard seems a little on the low side price wise, at that price I would
be sure to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

You never can tell with cars, you do your best to spot a goody and hope for the best.

But if the emissions charges and bans arean issue then a modern vehicle may be the only way to go.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Alternatives to Bongos?

Post by Tony x » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi
I've yet to find an alternative even at a price but then I need good off road capability and a versatile rear seat set up.

Return to “Bongo Chat”