Bongo wheel arch repair

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Johnny bongo 95
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo wheel arch repair

Post by Johnny bongo 95 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi guys I'm a newbie so bear with me :)
My son has just bought a 95 original Friendee with 140k on the clock. The engine appears sound and has recently had a head change.
So the van is roadworthy but has the usual bodywork issues especially the rear wheel arches. Visited a local bodywork garage in Swindon and they've quoted me 3k just for the arches inside and out (don't think they wanted the job).
Can anyone help with names of bongo Friendly garages in Wiltshire or even further afield?. We don't mind traveling for a good recommendation.
All advice welcome
Thanks
John
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo wheel arch repair

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Discount Trucks near Newbury are highly recommended, and won't rip you off

http://www.disctrucks.f9.co.uk/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi John, I would strongly advise you to have the vehicle professionally checked for rust before you do anything else, you could find that the £3000 is just the tip of the Iceberg.

Hope not ,take care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:12 pm

teenmal wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm Hi John, I would strongly advise you to have the vehicle professionally checked for rust before you do anything else, you could find that the £3000 is just the tip of the Iceberg.

Hope not ,take care.
Welcome. And teenmal is right - rust is the biggest issue with Bongos these days. Pretty much all fixable (by the right outfit) but at a cost. A thorough survey (and be ready with a sharp screwdiver and a stiff drink!) would be a good idea. On the plus side, if you got it cheap then a few £k is arguably worth it compared to VW rustbucketprices, if the end result is a good campervan that will give some years of good service. Good luck and keep us posted.
Johnny bongo 95
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Johnny bongo 95 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks guys some really good advice here. I'm sure there's more rust underneath but it's got a long mot and drives really well so maybe a few thousand might be a worthwhile investment as we paid next to nothing for it.
I will check out the place in Newbury and as advised get it thoroughly examined (stiff drink at the ready).
I'll keep you posted 😎
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Johnny bongo 95 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks guys some really good advice here. I'm sure there's more rust underneath but it's got a long mot and drives really well so maybe a few thousand might be a worthwhile investment as we paid next to nothing for it.
I will check out the place in Newbury and as advised get it thoroughly examined (stiff drink at the ready).
I'll keep you posted 😎
I am afraid this doesn't mean that the vehicle is safe to drive, as I said get it professionally checked out , in particular the lower wishbones.

PS did you get my PM.

Take care
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:51 pm

teenmal wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:55 pm
Johnny bongo 95 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks guys some really good advice here. I'm sure there's more rust underneath but it's got a long mot and drives really well so maybe a few thousand might be a worthwhile investment as we paid next to nothing for it.
I'll keep you posted 😎
I am afraid this doesn't mean that the vehicle is safe to drive, as I said get it professionally checked out , in particular the lower wishbones.

PS did you get my PM.

Take care
I'm sure Discount Trucks will know exactly where to go prodding. Suggest adopt the braced position, wallet to hand [-o< :shock: :? :lol:

Return to “Bongo Chat”