Set voltmeter to 12 or 24 volts dc
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant alarm problem

Post by haydn callow » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm

20 or 24 volts....whatever you were using before to measure battery. Should be 12.5 resting and 14.2 engine running
Also BMW Clocks
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15 am

I'm at Colne if you want me to have a look.
Sounds like it's working/alarming when it detects the low battery voltage while the glow plugs are going on and off during warming up. This is normal, and can go on for some time after starting the engine . If the battery tests ok then it could be a faulty glow plug with the wrong resistance causing the battery volts to drop.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:08 am

If anyone can sort it out....Northern Bongnlow is the man....
Also BMW Clocks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am

Yep. 8)

Very kind offer from a top Bongo expert. =D>
Two R's
Bongonaut

Post by Two R's » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. With work etc soonest I can prob get over is next Sat aft. If that’s not good I’ll see if I can work from home in the week and pop over. I’ll test the battery tommorow and let you know the results.
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - F.Zappa
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am

haydn callow wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:08 am If anyone can sort it out....Northern Bongnlow is the man....
Plus one on that :lol: :lol:
I think I'd do myself a favour and replace the starter battery for a new one , I've just bought one from euro car parts, a Bosch S4 335 ,for about £115( with discount code 37 )delivered here to Ireland . I'm hoping it will improve a few things , including the alarm staying on too long when cold . At worst it's winter and the bus deserves a decent battery .
Top after sales from Hydn by the way
The best of luck with it and keep us informed as it wil help lots more members .........like me :D

Brian
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 pm

The alarms do take a little longer to go quiet the colder the weather....but should never be more than 5/6 seconds if all else is good...
I do think Northern Bongolow could be on the right track with the glow plugs switching on/off/on/off etc....makes perfect sense. You could prove/disprove this by putting a switch in the glow relay circuit wires.
Also BMW Clocks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm

It would be worthwhile checking the voltage at the sensor screw on the header tank.

These " Coolant "alarms are very pernickety, the don't like some coolants/they don't like cold weather, they don't like some batteries .And it now looks like they have fallen out with the poor wee heater plugs.

Take care.
Last edited by teenmal on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two R's
Bongonaut

Post by Two R's » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:17 pm

It has been starting a bit toughlyvrecrntky do I was wondering if glow plugs might be an issue, but would that contribute to it going off five minutes into a journey?
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - F.Zappa
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I think that’s a bit unfair... if all is well in the electrical dept .... they are not at all pernickety....the alarms just show up hidden faults...such as probably in this case a faulty glow circuit or plug... they also detect low battery/charging voltages..
As for some coolants, it’s well documented that some red coolants which when fresh will coat the inside of the system with a protective film, unfortunately it can also coat the alarm sensor screw .... as long as we are aware of this it’s really not a big deal and only goes on for a very limited period. There are now many thousands of very happy customers out there including, farmers, miners, boat owners, racing/off road teams as well as many expensive vintage cars.the number of reported problems is well under 2% and we have always sorted the problem which has always traced back to a alarm unrelated problem....hundreds of people have reported back their thanks that the alarm has prewarned them of coolant loss. In the past 5 years we have not had a single alarm fail.
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Two R's wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:17 pm It has been starting a bit toughlyvrecrntky do I was wondering if glow plugs might be an issue, but would that contribute to it going off five minutes into a journey?
Yes probably, the glow plugs can be active after a cold start for much longer than 5 mins.
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:32 pm

teenmal wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm It would be worthwhile checking the voltage at the sensor screw on the header tank.

These " Coolant "alarms are very pernickety, the don't like some coolants/they don't like cold weather, they don't like some batteries .And it now looks like they have fallen out with the poor wee heater plugs.

Take care.
What should the voltage be at the sensor screw ??
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm

teenmal wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm It would be worthwhile checking the voltage at the sensor screw on the header tank.

Take care.
Not sure what balanced sample you are basing assertions on but, as ever, the huge number of unpernickety (or is it unpernickity) LCA owners will probably not be reporting their happy situation.

I think focusing (as you have in para.1) on constructive ideas for fixing this persons LCA problems is the best we can do.

I'm no electrician but, as a test, is there a way of test dumping any capacitance (for example by touching a wire direct from the sensor screw to earth) to see if that immediately stops the chirping?
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Connecting a wire from the sensor screw to Earth would / should cause the alarm to stop sounding. My best advice is to let Northern Bongolow have a look. He will probably get to the bottom of this problem
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Bongo Chat”