Is it worth getting Auto Free Top - or simple Tin Top?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Treetalk
Bongonaut

Is it worth getting Auto Free Top - or simple Tin Top?

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi,

me again 8) .

Am finally going ahead with bongo purchase and one final question if anyone could help: the merits and de-merits of having an AutoFreeTop?

I was dead set on a simple tin top. Its cheaper, first of all. I don't know if I'd use the extra top for sleeping - I think I'd be happy on the floor with decent bedding. I can't really imagine sharing the campervan either, so doubt I'd need extra bed space. I have seen an AFT in the flesh, but it didn't really sway me.

However, I've read its really pleasant to sleep in the top. Is this true? Any other positives or negatives? How much extra cost does having the "top" usually entail?

Thank you.
Last edited by Treetalk on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Re: Is it worth getting Auto Free Top - or simple Tin Top?

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Also, I assume the AFT goes flat when you're not using it?! I know it seems like a stupid question but need to know. When you see them in adverts they are nearly always "stuck up" at a right angle.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:46 pm

When we first bought a Bongo it was the AFT and the extra space that persuaded us that this was the vehicle we needed, we slept one up one down as it gave us much more space with a full side conversion. Even now, on my own, I wouldn't consider a Tintop, the extra storage space and height when parked up is essential as far as I am concerned. If staying for a few days on a site then it becomes storage space, even just for one night its much easier to fling the bags, coats etc up top and have the height to dress and cook in without continually having to move items around.
Maybe if you intend to attach an awning it might be possible not to need the space, but if you intend to tour then the hassle of continually putting an awning up and packing it away, especially when wet, is quite daunting!

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 pm

very helpful! nice pics.

do you drive around with it with the AutoFreeTop up e.g. for storage ever, or is it only when parked up? I'm still a bit puzzled as to when it goes down. I'm sorry if it seems like a daft question.

My needs are small, I can't imagine having much stuff or even doing a conversion particularly, and I doubt I would go down the awning route. In the Summer, I might even camp outside it, I'm not entirely sure (I feel another BongoFury question coming on :lol: ). But then again, Bongos are quite small and if you could put some stuff up in the roof at night, or store bedding there during the day, I guess it could make more space.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am

All of the elevating tops need to be secured in the down position for travelling. Many have additional straps inside to secure - as the wind resistance at 70 mph is considerable. Even if you don’ Sleep up there, the extra headroom is a bonus and you can put stuff up there whilst camping. Downside is the extra bit of height over a tin top - can be tricky getting under some car park barriers.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am

Welcome. I love my AFT but its an ageing thing that can go wrong and let you down when you need it, it noticeably reduces handling and performance due to high up weight, and multi-storey car parks are almost always denied it due to its height (which was a headache when trying to find airbnb accommodation with parking in London recently). Overall, what you don't have you hopefully won't miss and the tintops better handling and spritelyness and lack of parking issues will be a big plus. At a cost, you could always fit an aftermarket manual roof though they aren't in the same engineering and design league as the AFT. For me though, I bought a Bongo because the AFT was just the coolest most unique thing. I love it, warts and all, and wouldn't be without it 8)
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for your replies. I think I need to go to a dealer again and check it out again to re-consider the question, as still unsure. I'm not mechanically minded, so want to keep things as simple as possible, especially as first campervan. mike's comments v helpful on this too.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Do consider how you plan to use it as well.
A day trip layout van is a totally different from a touring layout van or even a van you intend to use on a site for a couple of weeks, it might be worth looking at the local Facebook groups to you to see if any local Breakfast meets or weekend meets are planned where you would be welcome to pop along and compare the various layouts and the ways people use the vans in reality rather than just our verbal descriptions.

Oh and no you don't drive on the roads with the roof up! You might just slowly move about the campsite a little to position yourself or whatever, but actual driving requires you to drop the roof as when its up the safety mechanisms put the engine into "limp" mode and beeps at you all the time!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 pm

We've owned both and, whilst they both were the diesel they were very different beasts.
The main difference with the tintop is the driving. It handles better and is a little bit faster. The aft however has many advantages when parked up.
It depends what your needs are as to which you choose. Personally I love the aft
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 am

Echo the comments about what you require from the van, I have deliberated a lot about getting my tintop converted recently but always go full circle to why and what I wanted the Bongo to do for me, so I cannot justify £3K+ for headroom (I don't really care for) and storage (I don't need) the option of sleeping in the AFT definitely appeals but that is pretty much seasonal and for when there is 3 of us, which means using a site which I often find pretty unappealing (noise, charges, amount of people/vans) prefer ad-hoc/wild camping, then the erected AFT would alert one to the fact you are camping in the van. I purchased a drive-away awning for the extra bedroom.

My tintop is used as a day van for MTB rides and hiking trips with a comfortable place to eat, drink and maybe have a kip or read afterwards, with ad-hoc low key overnight wild camps (and trips to the dump as it goes under the barrier). If you are looking at predominately site camping the AFT would have my vote. It looks really well designed whilst some of the aftermarket pops seem to lack the ability of pushing the bed section out of the way(?) quickly when not needed; they seem to use bed boards which then again would limit the headroom when in position. The headroom will also be restricted if you are using the AFT to store items too I guess, so it then becomes akin to a tin top with more toot you don't need with you :D (?). Throw into the mix of a camper van conversion, if I had a side conversion the AFT would definitely be needed given the small bed.

If the Bongo you are considering is more elderly then for £3-6K it seems to be the fitted to the majority, but then consider you may well have in this price bracket the tin worm problems and well documented mechanical issues to attend to. Private or Trade?

A newer facelift camper converted AFT is between £11-17K and is usually somewhere between £3-5K over and above a similar spec tin-top.

Or there is the option of a Roof tent?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am

I'd echo those thoughts. I have an AFT and it's great for 3 but a bit pointless for 2. We don't use the headroom (I still get in and out like exiting a helicopter). Not brave enough to try wild camping yet so only using sites where the AFT signifies camper (snob alert).
On aftermarket roofs, only 2 I would trust as TUV certified (Austops and Reimo), and those are for T5's and the like. All the rest are a bit DIY for my taste and fitted without thought to removal of structural tin )although I believe the clever folk at Bongoworx fit AFT's to tintops properly.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pm

So brilliantly helpful. Its great when other people echo my (vague) thoughts, and also add extra ideas. Its really helped me decide what to do.

I'm going to get a tintop basic van. If I decide in the future I "must" have the extra ceiling I think I would have the option of fitting a new 'manual' one that is really cool and can be fitted in this country. But I might be happy and find its enough just camping and going around with my bongo van :) , lets see.

ta-ra-for-now,
and thank you again.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Treetalk wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pm So brilliantly helpful. Its great when other people echo my (vague) thoughts, and also add extra ideas. Its really helped me decide what to do.

I'm going to get a tintop basic van. If I decide in the future I "must" have the extra ceiling I think I would have the option of fitting a new 'manual' one that is really cool and can be fitted in this country. But I might be happy and find its enough just camping and going around with my bongo van :) , lets see.

ta-ra-for-now,
and thank you again.
I think the idea of a tailgate awning has merit as offering quick erect enclosed standing room on the cheap. Saw one being offered by a cottage industry maker at the Bongo Bash a few years back:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b3FxB2vbaiPvUg6y5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hzsgesKdZUTk9YkVA

Or you could diy something, like this one i made when i first got the Bongo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tR21CCskEvMkpJLWA

If it were me, I'd use the flattened middle and back bench as a double bed, use a caravan door stool or a dual purpose diy step/storage box for getting in and out, and enjoy the extra space for dressing, cooking, whatever.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm

For just one person I would say the aft isn't worth it. We have 2 adults, 2 children and a dog. The aft is essential!

I finding sleeping 'downstairs' both more comfortable and warmer.

I did speak to a couple once who had an aft and they both slept in the roof. They said they preferred it like that as they didn't have to set a bed up. They left the lower part set as seating and a table.

Return to “Bongo Chat”