Daughter looking for a Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

lucklesspedestrian
Bongonaut

Daughter looking for a Bongo

Post by lucklesspedestrian » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 pm

First post here so Hi all!

My daughter and her partner are hooked on the idea of a Bongo and have co-opted my services as 'techical advisor' :lol:

Over the last few weeks we've looked at quite a few so I'm starting to get a feel for what to look for. We've looked on the usual internet sites and noted the 'For Sale' section of this forum (which incidentally has been a terrific source of information on the Bongo)

I hadn't noticed a 'Bongos Wanted' section of this forum however so thought I would chance my luck and ask if anyone was thinking about selling a suitable vehicle?

Specifically, she is looking for a petrol Bongo, max she could afford is about £6500 for absolutely the right vehicle, it would have to have some kind of conversion inside (not just an 8 seater). Pop up roof would be nice but not essential and obviously nothing which is just rusting away. We're in Scotland so could probably travel as far as Lancashire/Yorkshire to view.

So, that's it! Hope to hear from someone and Mods, if there is another section of the forum which is more suitable for this post then feel free to move it.

Cheers!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Daughter looking for a Bongo

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi, and welcome. 8)

Posting here is fine, and happy hunting. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Welcome. Best advice these days is be super aware of rust issues and read up on what to look out for. Do not rush to buy but get to know your Bongos. 2 litre petrol is the simplest beast to maintain though less powerful. All Bongos are heavy on fuel unless road conditions allow a steady 60-70mph max to be kept. For sale section on here in theory might be used by better sellers but always be on your guard ;-)
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:01 pm

If it is a bongo that has mot history, check online for any advisories, failures ect. You will get an idea of rust problems here. Recent imports should be no problem.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Out if interest why not the diesel?
I realise the choice between petrol and diesel is a bit like choosing between killing the planet and killing it's people.
Mmm...OK, perhaps that's going a bit far...
lucklesspedestrian
Bongonaut

Post by lucklesspedestrian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:05 am

I suppose what we've learned so far is that 'The perfect Bongo' doesn't exist (or if it does it's well outwith our price range!) and that some degree of compromise is inevitable.
The conclusion that I'm coming to is that it's best to get something which is good in terms of oily bits and bodywork but the interior can be left to improve/adapt as an ongoing process and is less important. The online MOT history I agree really does give you a good insight into a vehicle.
Not buying the first one we see is good advice. We went through a similar process about 6 years ago when the wife had her heart set on a mk1 Audi TT, again, getting to know the car, reading up on them, test driving a few was all invaluable and we ended up with a cracker which we ran for 4 trouble-free years and still miss.
The 'why no diesel?' is a perfectly good and valid question. We know it severely limits the choice and that the diesel is a good engine in the Bongo but she does have good personal reasons that I totally understand.
As an aside, went to see a nice very low mileage Toyota Granvia earlier in the week, weird stickshift thing above the indicator stalk but a nice 2.7l non turbo toyota engine which appealed to me but my daughter seems very much to want a Bongo/Freda. It's odd how you start to become 'Bongo Hyperaware' and begin to spot them a mile off with the random cry of 'Look....Bongo!'
Still, the search goes on and I'll keep you posted

btw.... is giving them a name compulsory??
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 am

Must confess to a soft spot for Toyotas. Never owned one but in the business there are vehicles that have a Zen-like aura around them for reliability and all of them come from Toyota: Lexus IS, Landcruiser, Hiace. All will do spaceship mileages on minimal maintenance.
There are some interesting Hiace conversions out there that come with a toilet space at the back but hold their value like diamonds.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 am

Naming your Bongo is not compulsory, but they are individuals so it would be a bit like not naming your children.

Ours is called Ferdinand as he likes adventures. It's after the old BBC 2 series 'The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand De Bargos':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeOduCFV-k

Return to “Bongo Chat”