Best Bike Rack

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

kevmoss
Apprentice Bongonaut

Best Bike Rack

Post by kevmoss » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:06 pm

I was just looking at the fact sheet for bike racks...

I'm looking for a bike rack for 4 bikes. We have a rear spoiler. Bongo manufactured 2000. I don't have a towbar.

The fact sheets suggests a Fiamma Carrybike Pro (though need to be professionally fitted but not removing the top fairing)

I *think* this is the one (but this says the rear spoiler would need to be removed.)
https://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Carr ... azda-Bongo

Any help or advice. Would it be better to get a tow bar fitted?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Best Bike Rack

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:13 pm

I use a Pendle rack, mounted on the tow bar.

Only my view, but 4 bikes is a lot of weight on the tailgate, and I suspect the cost of professional fitting would get you a tow bar.

That would have the advantage you could fit a rear step, just raise the bike rack on a spacer, and you may even tow a trailer in the future.

Just pay for 7N single socket electrics unless you plan on buying a caravan. :wink:

And welcome aboard. 8)
Propnut
Bongonaut

Post by Propnut » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 pm

This subject comes up from time to time

viewtopic.php?t=73675

I use the Thule 973 you need uprated gas struts to help opening door but you don't need to remove or cut the spoiler.
kevmoss
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kevmoss » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. (I searched but couldn't see the thread you pointed too)

As someone said on that thread - I'm rubbish at fitting so I think I might go with the tow bar solution

When you say "7N single socket electrics" is that a type of towbar?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 pm

No, just the basic electric socket, you don't need the more expensive modern type for a bike rack. 8)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:26 pm

I've got the type that mounts onto a bracket behind the towbar.

I got one that is a 3 bike carrier but it is a squeeze to get 3 bikes on and you've got no chance to get 3 adult bikes on.

You also need to buy a light bar and a spare number plate as the bikes obscure the rear number plate.

The whole lot bounces about a bit but seems secure.

It is a nice neat simple solution but it isn't perfect. My daughter now has an adult bike, so we need to carry 3 adult bikes and a kids bike and we just can't safely get the three adult bikes on the back. We normally put two adult bikes on the rack and then an adult bike and a kids bike inside the Bongo. We have a mid conversion so can just about get a couple of bikes inside. Without the kids in the back I have managed to put all 4 bikes in the back before.

Return to “Bongo Chat”