How to import a Bongo - a little advice please?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Treetalk
Bongonaut

How to import a Bongo - a little advice please?

Post by Treetalk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Well, I 've pretty much decided to go down the "buy a bongo" route :) .

I've done some research and am thinking of importing it from Japan via a well known company in the UK, to save money. Just a simple Bongo (no conversion). I think its cheaper than going to a garage and buying something off the forecourt.

However (I think) they want half the money up front before order it/ importing it from Japan, which makes me a bit nervous ....

Any advice from seasoned campervan people on here as to whether this is normal or advisable or not, would be so welcome ....

Thank you,
Treetalk.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: How to import a Bongo - a little advice please?

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Trouble is whatever they buy for you is yours, warts and all.

Also bear in mind if the company should go under, and there's no suggestion that they will, you will almost certainly loose your deposit.

Only my view, but there's no more risk with a private sale here in the UK, at least you'll see what you're getting.

Others will have different views, though. 8)
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Yes Bob, they were my thoughts in a vague sort of way - but you've clarified them!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 pm

From memory one of the big players in this market is based outside the UK so zero chance of come back.

You would also need to be absolutely certain of what is included in the deal.

VAT, Import Duty, Service, MoT, cam belt, rear fog, registration, underseal, and a lot more essentials, make a big difference.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

What savings do you envisage making with a 'personal import'?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Well Flanners its early days, so I'm a bit vague as yet, as to what the savings would actually be. But I think I would have to be clearer legally and financially where I stand before committing to the 'imported' route as mentioned above. I would be doing it through a UK based Mazda Bongo import company obviously, not personally (I don't speak Japanese for a start!). Its all new to me, so I'm a bit wandering in the dark, though I guess thats part of the fun/challenge too.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 pm

You have a PM. 8)

And I suggest putting the name of the importer into the 'Search' box, top right, and see what comes up. :wink:
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 pm

thanks. also looked at general ideas to help with buying here - https://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/
James Pemberton
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by James Pemberton » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi,
It might be worth looking at the TS export website (google it) You will be able to see the Bongos you are being offered, before they are bought by the UK agents. If you have already bought one, why not look it up to find out how much the dealer bought it for. Then add 250k yen to the van price. (The 250k breaks down ....for the japanese exporters fees 70k yen + 30k yen to get it from the auction onto the boat + 150k yen (£1000) for the cost of the boat to Britain).
Then you have to pay HMRC/ The Man... 20% for Vat and 10% for Duty... so multiply by 1.3

Check about, as different Japanese Exporters charge slightly differing amounts.

150k yen is approx 1k pounds.

TS Exports allow you to look up prices of all the bongos free of charge, sold at auction over the last few months and the ones to be auctioned, for a trial 2 weeks. ie. I thought their website was best... but have not contacted the company otherwise.

BE WARNED... then you need to mot/register it £150 and underseal it (£250-£550).

It's interesting. The more you know the better, is my philosophy. These are rough figures and if you shop around you might find a cheaper way. Good luck.

Return to “Bongo Chat”