Honda Elysion 3.0 vs Mazda Bongo AFT 2.5 petrol

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Loach384
Apprentice Bongonaut

Honda Elysion 3.0 vs Mazda Bongo AFT 2.5 petrol

Post by Loach384 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi, I’d just like to pick some brains and hear what owners have to say. Our family is looking for a new family vehicle to be used every day, be used for camping trips and also used as a light van for occasional use (ie tip runs and wood moving etc)

We saw a Bongo whilst camping this year and was massively impressed with it. The size, the AFT, the flexibility of the internal seating etc. It seemed to tick all the boxes. I have now started to research it properly though and I have some concerns. The bongo is a generation older than some of the JDM MPV’s which are starting to be imported and the engine figures seem to reflect this. There seems to be a cooling issue with the 2.5 V6 engine on the Bongo as everything I read stresses the importance of having a coolant alarm fitted. I’m impressed with the 3.0 V6 Honda Elysion as it is nearly 90bhp more powerful and using the Variable Cylinder Management cruises as a 1.5 straight 3 when up to speed, thus saving fuel. But it doesn’t have the Factory fitted AFT (and never will 😣) and the internal layout doesn’t look as flexible as a Bongo from what I’ve seen. Has anyone owned or test driven an Elysion and been able to compare it with a Bongo? Has anybody found an aftermarket roof that’s as good as the AFT? Are there ways of improving the efficiency and performance of the Mazda 2.5 V6 petrol? Or does somebody know of a better solution to the conundrum of wanting an everyday vehicle, that’s a good drive and can house a family of four on a weekend away? Sounds impossible doesn’t it?! 😊
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Honda Elysion 3.0 vs Mazda Bongo AFT 2.5 petrol

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Not sure you will improve the performance of the V6 Bongo, going to a 3l engine, even on a more recent vehicle, is unlikely to improve mpg!
At the end of the day this is a van, not a low consumption car, it has more than sufficient power to give a nice drive and well exceed the speed limits and at the same time gives a very flexible vehicle. However unless you go for a removable rear conversion then you will loose some flexibility as a camping vehicle unless you want to use drive away awnings to actually camp in.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Wasnt aware of the v6 Bongo having a cooling problem. Both v6 and diesel have to be bled strictly in line with instructions after a coolant change, and all old cars have old plumbing of course. V6 becomes much cheaper on fuel if you invest in an lpg conversion. Rust is the main caveat with all old Bongos. There's a good case generally for saying that older cars have simpler technology and so can be easier to keep going. Not heard of the Elysion but will now have a look i think ;-) But the Bongo is a classic design i think and a great mid point between mpv, utility vehicle, and campervan. And it is unique in being plentiful with a factory fitted AFT 8)
Loach384
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Loach384 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi , we want to keep the van mostly as an MPV. I will probably fit a leisure battery, split charging system and a roof solar panel. We want an awning for extra space on camps longer than a weekend. We like the idea of the bongo being the sleeping area. I am not thinking about a diesel as I think it’s going to become increasingly difficult to get them through the emissions test.

Return to “Bongo Chat”