Toyota Hiace

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Toyota Hiace

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi

Still considering up-sizing from our unconverted Freda (been prevaricating about this for nearly 3 years).

Our main gripe with the Freda (apart from size) is that we're too chicken to take it abroad in case of cooling issues. It's never let us down in the nearly 7 years we've owned it but we're still too scared to risk it.

We off to look at a 94 Toyota Hiace on Sunday, this one:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-mo ... 1309526921

I know these are meant to be very reliable, just wondered if anyone has any experience if them on here?

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Markas
Bongolier

Re: Toyota Hiace

Post by Markas » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi Sara,
I have a mechanic mate who has mentioned these vans before - he's been very impressed with the engineering. However, he recently did some work on my Bongo and was similarly complimentary.
The one on Gumtree looks like a very practical conversion. The chap in the second pic seems suitably impressed :lol:
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly just found out it only has lap belts so no longer going to view.

I'm sure I'll still be posting on here about a Freda alternative in 2030.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-mo ... 1309613907 near to you, might be worth a look.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:08 am

They're all 'classic' campers so anything could still fail when you're abroad but the same could be said for any vehicle IME (other than Lexus which appear to be made out of granite).
I'd be wary of any earlier diesel now, too. I was talking to my MOT man the other day and old diesels are struggling under the new rules. They are a council place and do everything to get them through as they don't do repairs but diesels are causing them real issues now and the legislation will only get tighter over time.
If reliability is your main concern, how about throwing a grand at the cooling system? All pipes (steel and rubber), new water pump and stat, pair of good used fans and new sensor should give peace of mind.
On space, I too have looked longingly at LWB T5's and the like and considered it but then every bugger has one and they attract the chav/value snob factor. Plus there's no AFT on anything else.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:32 am

TheLongRoad wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-mo ... 1309613907 near to you, might be worth a look.
Hmm, that's an Autosleepers Clubman bodyshell tacked onto a VW! I particularly like the vertical row of rivets about 2ft back from the cab - very neatly done :lol:
Mark
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Bonneville wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:08 am They're all 'classic' campers so anything could still fail when you're abroad but the same could be said for any vehicle IME (other than Lexus which appear to be made out of granite).
I'd be wary of any earlier diesel now, too. I was talking to my MOT man the other day and old diesels are struggling under the new rules. They are a council place and do everything to get them through as they don't do repairs but diesels are causing them real issues now and the legislation will only get tighter over time.
If reliability is your main concern, how about throwing a grand at the cooling system? All pipes (steel and rubber), new water pump and stat, pair of good used fans and new sensor should give peace of mind.
On space, I too have looked longingly at LWB T5's and the like and considered it but then every bugger has one and they attract the chav/value snob factor. Plus there's no AFT on anything else.
This is exactly what I did about a year ago [full coolant system service ] I even did a tread on it here as I had the same concerns as you .
the bongo has since been to france four times , in fact only back from france with her today after 3000 miles and 30-39c temps while climbing steep mountain roads with no problems 8) so these buses can do it if properly maintained !
As said all old [and new ] buses can give trouble but that's what brake down cover is for ,i'm with ADAC
might it be worth saying that better the devil you know ?
best of luck with what ever you end up doing but don't be afraid of Europe with the bongo .
Brian
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Sadly ADAC are no longer accepting members who are not resident in Germany, or at least have a German address, as I found out when I spoke to them earlier this week.
Cheapest breakdown cover quote I've found is with the RAC as a Camping Club member - just over £200 for 350 days abroad cover, and no problem with the age of the vehicle as it's the driver who's covered. Thought I should get some breakdown cover as I'm off in the Bongo to France for 8 months next week :D
Most expensive quote for cover was the AA - £1099 or over £1700 if I wanted a contribution to parts costs :lol: :!:
Mark
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:10 am

Bonneville wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:08 am They're all 'classic' campers so anything could still fail when you're abroad but the same could be said for any vehicle IME (other than Lexus which appear to be made out of granite).
Funnily enough, that's just what I've been discussing with my other half. We've owned the Freda for 7 years and not once has it broken down or given us a scare. The main car (Renault Meganne boo hiss) has left me standed twice and given us numerous scares, but we still crammed it with our camping kit and took it to France.

Think we might go for the full cooling system overhaul ( and get a new bonnet as ours is seriously scruffy) and just bite the bullett next year.

Sara
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Cheaper European breakdown cover can be obtained with flex account with nationwide. £13 per month.

I have enjoyed my bongo in France 9 years out of 10! Been to Portugal. Switzerland Belgium. Yes a breakdown can effect a holiday. Get a full service before you go and get gone. A breakdown is just God telling you to s l o w d o w n. Take whatever happens as a reason to have a laugh with the family at Christmas. Don't spend the pre trip worrying. A well maintained Bongo will get you there and back and should something happen call the insurers and shrug your shoulders and say sai le vie. Enjoy the scenery, the weather, the plonk, the company and smile. Memories are better than dreams. Even if they are the sort that you would rather not have!
Yours Ian G.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:11 am

fatcatlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm Cheaper European breakdown cover can be obtained with flex account with nationwide. £13 per month.

I have enjoyed my bongo in France 9 years out of 10! Been to Portugal. Switzerland Belgium. Yes a breakdown can effect a holiday. Get a full service before you go and get gone. A breakdown is just God telling you to s l o w d o w n. Take whatever happens as a reason to have a laugh with the family at Christmas. Don't spend the pre trip worrying. A well maintained Bongo will get you there and back and should something happen call the insurers and shrug your shoulders and say sai le vie. Enjoy the scenery, the weather, the plonk, the company and smile. Memories are better than dreams. Even if they are the sort that you would rather not have!
Yours Ian G.
Great advice Ian =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Bongo Chat”