Not a bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Not a bongo

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 pm

Bear in mind the VED.

For larger vehicles registered between 2001 - 2017 this can be crippling. :shock:

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/dri ... ts/car-tax
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Bob wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 pm Bear in mind the VED.

For larger vehicles registered between 2001 - 2017 this can be crippling. :shock:

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/dri ... ts/car-tax
Holy crap - that needs an ologist to decipher it! But good point Bob and i wonder what the i800 would weigh in at?
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 am

Hi, just read the link. It looks like cars pre 2017 are taxed under the old system.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 am

2001 - 2017 It's based on Co2 emissions with many different bands.

Most Bongos are in the old 2 bands. :wink:

Worth checking what you have to pay before you buy your new motor. 8)
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am

Im also wondering how it works if an older vehicle is first registered in the UK when it is imported after 2017? Does anyone know?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 am

feeblecat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 am Thanks for replies. I had forgotten about Toyota have. But would be looking for something at least 10 years newer - I'll Google them and see what's about. Another option.
're the Alphard and Elgrand. Would anyone be able to tell me how their fuel consumption would compare with the bongo?
The Alphard is massively thirsty as is the Elgrand if owner's comments and mpg stats on the net are a reflection not surprising in a huge petrol engine; anywhere between 13 (urban) (!) to a max of 22 mpg, for a camper that is a huge cost implication and at 130p a litre eyewateringly expensive. As a 'day car' as you have suggested, I wouldn't even consider it given the horrendous running costs, depends on the miles you do too I guess. The huge amount of electronics/gizmos would concern me, that said Jap reliability is usually good.

The i800 looks to be very low 30's with an auto box so in line with a Bongo, has £300 to £500+ VED rates though depending on model, this van would tempt me for sure as there are some well priced examples. Cut priced Vdub alternative.

I went for a Bongo as possibly compromised on all fronts but a decent all rounder when adding it all up especially on running cost, decent used parts availabilty/cost etc.

Given the Jap import alternatives and their stats :shock: and the desire for a newer vehicle I would be looking to go i800/German, buying in October when people start to bail out of ownership. Failing that I would be looking for a lovely rust free new shape 2002-2005 coverted Bongo with a driveaway awning :D
Last edited by Flanners on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am

I'm getting confused. I'm now leaning towards the later bongos.......I know what I'm getting with a bongo. And I'm thinking with a basic conversion we could have more room. Dawn Conversions have a couple of crackers in :D
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am

I know I'm bias, but I considered all the options last Sept-Oct and the later Bongo easily won out for me and what I wanted, I got a 40K mile 2002; you have had one before so know it's foibles but also it's huge desirability and practicality and you are still considering suggets you go and have a look at a few :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 am

The Bongo is certainly the most round all rounder thats for sure :-)
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 am

All of the Bongos I'm looking at are petrol - oh says they will be thirstier and would want diesel. Did bongo stop producing diesel?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 am

The japenese domestic market abandoned diesel years ago and has only really made diesel engined vehicles since for other markets ie Europe, but have stopped that now too I think, imo a good thing. Your option's are the V6 or 2.0, I have the 2.0 and whilst comparatively 'slow' and not a torque filled engine it fits the mindset of a camper, it is a pretty much a bombproof design and costs far less to maintain than both the diesel and V6; returns 30mpg on a run.
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks Flanners. You answered my next question re fuel consumption - hubby not keen and thinks it will be far worse than diesel. 30 mpg sounds good - is that typical? Our last diesel bongo was about 24mpg.
I should rename this thread from Not a Bongo to Maybe a Bongo lol
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 am

My 2.0 gives me 27-32mpg, others have had lower, some higher. I don't boot it and cruise at 60mph or thereabouts, have Outback conversion etc; given the age and weight of vehicle I think it is quite respectable, I personally don't believe many of the newer vans get anywhere near the quoted mpg figures (especially given VW's track record on honesty) and owner's for this and other marques on Forums seem to suggest mid 30's mpg is the average return their cruising speeds appear higher though.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Transit campervan?
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:59 pm

So, still doing my homework and still not sure. But I'm in no hurry and want to make the right decision given that I'll be spending a load of dosh and want my campervan to last a long time. Ive visited a dealer and saw the Alphard converted and unconverted and am happy with the size and the look of the vehicle. Outwardly much the same as the bongo but more floor space. But I keep getting conflicting reviews about performance/fuel consumption.

We also went to see some vans with the view to getting it converted ourselves. Vans have been narrowed down to Ford Custom, Toyota Proace and Vauxhall Vivaro. Any thoughts bere.? Can anyone recommend converters based in Scotland based on their own experience? Basically I would be wanting a full conversion minus the cupboards eg, insulaton, floor, electrics, swivel seats, rock and roll bed.

Finally, your view on 2 things. I spoke to the guy at Jal Imports. He STRONGLY recommended the Toyota Regius over the Alphard. Opinions on the Regius? But more importantly opinions on Jal Imports? I felt like the ditsy blonde or a pupil he was talking to, as though I was a bit dim and he was a bit pushy. I suppose I can work with that if his products are quality.

Return to “Bongo Chat”