Bongo security as a lone woman?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Treetalk
Bongonaut

Bongo security as a lone woman?

Post by Treetalk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

I am getting a little bit of Bongo fever, and fancy buying a Bongo - probably in early 2019. Its been a small dream of mine I am considering in late middle age I hope I might be able to achieve. Something very simple where I can put a mattress etc if its too cold to camp in a tent - or if I am alone in a camping field for example. I'll probably camp on my own on campsites, March to October, mostly at middweek to avoid the crowds, as I am looking for some peace and quiet.

However, my family have started making noises about safety, a woman on their own, etc etc.

Are Bongos quite secure in terms of locking yourself in? Would you feel safe camping in one on your own at night with few (or no) people about, even though you would be on a proper campsite?

Thank you.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo security as a lone woman?

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi. :)

We have quite a few solo lady campers on here, and I've never heard of a problem.

Bongo locks are 20 years old, and not the very best, but you are locked in.

Theives tend to target empty vehicles rather than occupied ones, and mostly won't know if you're a single lady or an off duty wrestler so won't chance it.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure one or two ladies will have some good info. 8)
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Thank you Bob.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 pm

We always lock the doors from inside when we wild camp.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am

I'm a solo lady camper and I lock all the doors from the inside at night, although I do tend to leave the two cab windows open a notch for air. I do have a rather large chocolate labrador for security but I haven't had a problem.

There was one January night when I wild-camped on a NT car park on Rodborough Common. I was worried about kids, you know the amorous teenager ones, etc. Although a couple of cars did park up for a while (?!) they were quiet and I didn't have a problem.

All in all, although the lure of wild camping interests me, I am far happier in my mind on a campsite, even on my own in a field! It's the thought that there is 'someone' around I guess.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Thank you both. If only I had a large labrador :).

I don't think I would wild-camp on my own anyway, perhaps later if I was feeling really confident, but I can't see it happening as yet. Even an empty campsite sounds a little daunting, but in a van alot better than in a tent on such occasions.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:40 pm

It would be a simple matter to fit a 'panic button' near your sleeping position.

Just a wire from the horn and switch to earth. :wink:

Saying that I can't remember if the horn only works with the ignition on, but you could easily fit an extra sound source and switch as above.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm

We have camped on campsites for many years and what has always appealed to us was the sense of community. We often take our dog for a walk around the site without locking the van up as other campers do tend to watch over fellow campers belongings. Just say hi to your neighbours and I am sure they will keep an eye out for you and your safety.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm

thanks all for your advice. i am definitely going to buy a campervan in time for next Spring :) is there a good time to buy one - if anyone sees this post again? i just want a basic one - probably not fitted out or anything, just space for mattress and a few boxes etc.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Prices may drop a little during autumn/winter as demand slows but finding a good one is the main thing.

Ours is unconverted and we use a couple of 'kneeling mats' to level up the seats for sleeping.

Available from Poundland or garden stores, just cut to size.

Remember you will be welcome at any Meets whatever you drive. 8)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:44 am

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:40 pm It would be a simple matter to fit a 'panic button' near your sleeping position.

Just a wire from the horn and switch to earth. :wink:

Saying that I can't remember if the horn only works with the ignition on, but you could easily fit an extra sound source and switch as above.
As always with bongos, not sure it will apply to all but ours certainly works without the keys in as I can testify from the dog sitting his backside against the steering wheel in the middle of the night! We have moved some circuits around though to work from the leisure battery so it might be part of one of those?!

I've never felt worried camping in ours but we've only ever been as a family, with the 4 of us and the dog there isn't any room for a burglar! :)

I sometimes lock the doors but haven't done recently to be honest, in the summer we have all the rear windows open on their catch and the front windows down a few inches. We then have the blinds down over the rear windows and silver screens over the others. Nobody can see in.

I'd be more worried about an opportunist theif taking things from the awning during the night or the day when we are out, but we don't have anything of any real value, it would be an inconvenience rather than a disaster.

We've never wild camped but have stayed on many CL sites where we are the only unit there, but then you have the owners in their house nearby usually.

I like the idea of the panic button linked to the horn, an auto electrician would be able to wire this up quite easily. If you had a hidden Rocker switch somewhere then you could click it on and the horn wouldn't stop until you flicked it off again.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 am

Plenty of car alarm systems have a Panic button built in as well, normally pressing one of the buttons for several seconds will trigger the alarm.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 pm

What about a personal alarm? You could put it beside you at night, and have it with you when out and about in the day. While it makes sense to be cautious, I wouldn't get too hung up about it. You hear things on the news of course, but when you consider all the tens of thousands of other people out camping on any given day I think the odds are definitely in your favour.

Malc
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Like Jilly, I'm another single female traveller, minus dog of any type.
Not had a problem but have only stayed on Campsites, not Wild Camping.
I got a lot of negative remarks about 'single lady travelling' from friends when I was talking about buying a Campervan.
Certainly glad I didn't listen as I have met many great people since and seen beautiful places in this Country of ours.
Don't let them put you off and certainly come to the Bongo Fury meets.
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 pm

I wouldn't pay much attention to other people's fears. If you want to buy a Bongo and travel solo, just go for it. I bought my Bongo 3 years ago and love it. Most of the time I travel alone, once in a blue moon one of my boys or my OH will join me but it's rare. I've never had any concerns about security in my Bongo - or in the decade or so prior to that, as a tent camper. Life is short, just do it :D

Return to “Bongo Chat”