Actually went camping in it

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bonneville
Bongolier

Actually went camping in it

Post by Bonneville » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am

Having had the Bongo for a couple of months, we finally went somewhere in it at the weekend (Billing Aquadrome) and had a great time. I'm a camping virgin so this was all new to me and strange. People talk to you (I work in the City and that only happens when someone wants your money).
We had a hookup pitch but no hookup on van so sat there watching folk leading cables into tents and got range anxiety due to charging phones on crank battery. Watching people put up tents is a sport in itself.
I do think it would have been a good idea to camp in it first as advised many times on here. We've bought a rear conversion (on order but not here yet) but I liked sitting on the ledge at the back and looking out so that may be a bad idea.
A leisure battery is on it's way and I nearly bought an inverter but now I'm not so sure.

On the whole, I get it now. This is a great thing.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Actually went camping in it

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 am

Great stuff =D> In case interested, I just posted on this thread with thoughts about (non permanent/cheap/versatile) 'conversion' ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74894

I have an inverter but never use it (they're an inefficient way of doing electricity and hardly any low wattage camping related device needs 240v these days) . What HAS proved invaluable are the Waeco CF18 and a 100w solar panel kit - cost a bit but then my conversion cost peanuts!
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

Like that conversion :)
We are running a laptop and a couple of phones so I'm thinking an inverter is a waste. Would like a kettle but reading around, it seems that gas would be better for that.
Your solar is interesting. How does that work out, exactly? Is it charging the leisure battery, if so, what is the charge time?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Bonneville wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am Like that conversion :)
We are running a laptop and a couple of phones so I'm thinking an inverter is a waste. Would like a kettle but reading around, it seems that gas would be better for that.
Your solar is interesting. How does that work out, exactly? Is it charging the leisure battery, if so, what is the charge time?
Yup you're better getting a 12v car charger for the laptop and 12v usb plugs for the phones. The solar panel keeps the leisure battery charged (if there's sunlight available!) when it might otherwise get flattened by devices using it. I've found mine has been generating enough for all my needs in this weather, which is nice. People have made up their own set-ups and saved a good bit by doing that but i preferred to buy this kit

http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/i ... -solar-kit

From a previous Bongo owner who started his own business. I like supporting enterprise like this plus i grt a complete kit and know i won't end up with shoddy components. It was v easy to fit, works a treat and the only minor mod i did was to buy tamperproof bolts for the roof mounting brackets. I bought the more expensive blutooth mppt controller as it allows me to look at performance history etc on my phone and that is actually v useful/educational.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Hello Bonnerville.
I have a unconverted bongo which I have owned for over a year now and have used camping frequently. We initially thought about converting, toying with a tail unit then a side conversion, but the more we have used it we are of the opinion the extra space you have unconverted is better suited to our needs (girlfriend and small dog) I have tailored a draw that is on wheels and has two supporting legs which fits neatly under the rear seats, which holds all the essentials including saucepans, frying pan, cooker, cutlery, washing up bowl etc. The legs enable it, when pulled out to form a sturdy table for food prep and cooking. When pushed back it allows us to lay all the seats down, thus having the option to sleep either up top or below on windy days without compromising on internal space. We also have a table inside the van which is attached on a rail below the window line.
As for power, I fitted a leisure battery which is powered by a 60watt portable solar panel which allows me to follow the best sun angle throughout the day. Internal lights have all been changed to LEDs. When not on electric we use a 12v cool box which my solar panel appears to cope well with.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:52 am

Intersting stuff, thanks. My insurance company mandated a camper V5 but gave 3 months as an MPV before converting so we're going that way by default. Should really have shopped around a bit but the right conversion seems to add value to these so there's that as well.
In hindsight, I would do as you've done and use it for a while first.
I think I'll do the solar and bin the inverter idea.

Return to “Bongo Chat”