Be aware "tenacious tape"

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Roy748
Bongolier

Be aware "tenacious tape"

Post by Roy748 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello all
Just thought I would post a word of caution when dealing with tenatious tape. My AFT fly net had two tears on either side upon purchase, which had been repaired using tenatious tape. Over time the tape has gone yellow in colour and is, in my opinion a distraction to the nice look of my van. Having read a few reviews on repairing I thought I would remove the old tape and sew a new piece of micro midge netting in.
Sadly my enthusiasm soon waned, as removing the old tape proved very difficult and proceeded to tear the netting further, sadly once committed I had to continue. Application of heat did not help either.
I have managed to do a temporary repair but feel it is no better than it was before and with prior knowledge I would not have attempted to remove the tape. Hope this goes as a warning to others considering a repair.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Be aware "tenacious tape"

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Useful update Roy and thanks (and commiserations). I have some TT but have yet to use it. :roll:
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:44 am

Yes, thanks for the info. Never heard of the stuff but will avoid.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 am

I've always used it and some has been on for several years without discolouration, so I would guess its been on for quite a long time - how do you know it is actually Tenacious Tape, once on its just a clear sticky tape, could be any make ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello g8dhe.
I guess I don't truly know it's tenacious tape but the point of my message was to really warn other owners that if like me, they were considering removing any tape they may have on the mesh, they may want to think again as in my case it made the tear far worse.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 am

Oh yes its NOT a good idea to remove it, unless the net material is in tip top condition, and I can't think that there can be many Bongo's with the the net in that condition! My concern was the discolouration that lead you to want to remove it, I've just not seen that happen on patches that have been on for several years was all.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”