Help required checking over potential purchase

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

elppin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help required checking over potential purchase

Post by elppin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:42 am

Hi all,

I’m in the process of potentially buying a Bongo, subject to some last checks not uncovering anything too sinister.

The main area I’m concerned with is the underside of the van. The arches/sills need attention, as well as quite a few other scabby areas around the bodywork. Happy to invest in getting these done, as long as the underside isn’t also hiding another bunch of welding. It’s a cheap van, but also pretty tired, so I’m just trying to make sure it’s a worthwhile base to start with.

To this end, is anyone aware of someone that really knows Bongos, and would be able to meet me at the car location (it’s not currently driveable) to give a quick overview on condition? Obviously I’d pay for their time. The car is located in Hasting, East Sussex.

I don’t want to go down the AA route, as I just don’t think they know these cars well enough.

Many thanks,

Elppin
WestyK
Bongolier

Re: Help required checking over potential purchase

Post by WestyK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Cant help with looking at your potential buy

but would recommend checking the MOT history if you have the REG number.
When I was buying mine I checked out dozens that looked good on photos but had been through assorts for years on end.

Multiple advisory's that havent been addressed for years or major fails and low mileages between years are all things to look out for.
It can even give you an idea if the mileage is honest.

Its all just a guide of course. repairs if done well will be fine but at least you can go fully armed and ask questions when you view

Ian
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Help required checking over potential purchase

Post by Bonneville » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am

How about getting the seller to send you pics and posting up here? Check the buyers guide and ask for a view of the front and rear crossmember, plus the inner sills behind the front arch.
They all seem to go here first and I found these areas to be a good indicator as to the state of the rest of it. Having said that, engine work doesn't bother me but I hate welding upside down. Your priorities may be different.
MOT history is a good shout. Plenty around with serious corrosion reported that have then been patched. Patching rarely works long-term in my experience as the rot continues behind the patch. Beware an advisory that says 'Vehicle has been undersealed'. This sounds good but isn't.

Return to “Bongo Chat”