I think I’ve just bought a Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

elppin
Apprentice Bongonaut

I think I’ve just bought a Bongo

Post by elppin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi all,

So it seems to be a reality. Shook hands tonight on a basket case of a Bongo, that will probably keep me stressed and poor for a long long time to come.

It’s actually a Ford version, but I’m hoping you won’t hold that against me.

The car is almost barn-find like in condition, and needs auto gearbox attention (not currently driveable), rust fixes on arches/sills, other rusty spots like gutters and lots of general tlc.

However, I like the idea of bringing her back from the brink, just hope it doesn’t all end in tears.

It has had a new head and steering rack though, so at least there are a couple of bits that I don’t have to worry about for a while.

So the plan is:

1. Sort auto box
2. Tidy bodywork
3. Clean, clean, tidy, clean, and a bit more cleaning
4. Coolant alarm
5. Remove centre row of seats and fit rear facing box seat behind front seats and removable table
6. Fit leisure battery
7. Fit fridge
8. Fit roof solar panel
9. Reupholster seats so that they form a flat full width bed
10. Lots and lots of driving trips

So pleased to finally be taking ownership of one. I’ve been admiring them ever since a camping trip a few years back, where there were three parked up together.

I apologise in advance for the many questions I’m bound to have over the coming months, but hopefully, sometime next year, I’ll have her back on the road. Can’t wait to get her home now.

Elppin

PS, if anyone knows of a way to recover the car cheaply in Sussex, please let me know. Can find a trailer to rent for roughly £50, but don’t know anyone with a car with a large enough towing capacity to pull the trailer and Bongo. ☹️
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: I think I’ve just bought a Bongo

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:11 am

Sounds like quite the project, but do able. :)

Have a Google for something like 'vehicle recovery' in your area.

Breakdown companies will often do a good price for non-urgent recovery as they can fit it in when otherwise quiet.

Otherwise it's renting a good size 4x4 to tow the trailer, but make sure your licence covers it. :wink:
elppin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by elppin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm

So, the deal is now done, and she’s being recovered at 2:00pm.

Can’t believe I now own a Bongo - paid £450 for her, so not too much of a gamble if I end up having to part it out, but intention is very much about bringing her back from the brink.

I’m already getting way ahead of myself and looking at solar kits and the like. Baby steps required. Will concentrate on bodywork assessment first, and then if she’s solid, gearbox replacement.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:22 pm

I can only say that my Bongo has (in 12 years of ownership) far and away been the most fun and most useful and reliable vehicle i've owned in my long life. I believe the design is a true classic. Hopefully that thought will help sustain you through the pain that lies ahead. :D 8)
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 am

Congratulations. Not a bad way of doing it in my view. Whenever I buy a car or bike, even relatively new stuff, it ends up in bits. The standard of work out there now is shocking and don't get me started on 'service history'.
Buy rough, fix it and you'll know it's done properly.
Keep us posted with the work and good luck.

Return to “Bongo Chat”