MOT all clear

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

MOT all clear

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Suddenly realised last week that the MOT was due. (Insurance renewal reminded me!)

Booked it in for today and it passed straight off!

Was slightly concerned given the MOT was supposed to have become stricter but it sailed through.

So that was the good news, the bad news is that the insurance company want £100 more than last year! Last year went up too. This year's renewal is nearly double the price of our first year's insurance. Had the bongo for 3 years now so that is quite a short space of time to double the cost.

Still not bad for a 19 year old vehicle to sail through the MOT.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: MOT all clear

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Well done on MOT. Now use something like confused dot com and get a cheap quote, call current insurers, tel ‘em you have a quote of lots less from x are you going to match it. See what they say :D
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Unfortunately I can't find anything else close! The clubcare insurance was by far the cheapest. Originally it was hundreds cheaper now it is just a bit cheaper!

I'm going to ring them and see what they say, see if they can do any better.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm

We were in a similar position. Also sailed though the MOT. Then the motor insurance was due - both car and camper - and of course the Renewal quotes were higher than last year. However with a short web search and a phone call, both were renewed at less than last year - the camper considerably so - and with the same or better terms.
Good luck with your negotiations!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Managed to half the difference, but still more than last year. It isn't a huge amount considering what other people pay and does include breakdown cover.

Can't believe we're entering year 4 with the Bongo as well. Fingers crossed all remains well with it.

For us, the other car's insurance isn't due at the same time but the MOT on the other car is due in 10 days :(
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:49 pm

In the clear for another year. :)
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Got an all clear just before the bongo bash, not bad considering we'd just covered 1300km prior to the test, travelling up from mid france to isle o wight then test in salisbury (without the nerve agent) :lol:
chuffed to bits :mrgreen:
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Glad to hear your Bongo passed the MOT
Mine recently did too - though it did need a bit of work (exhaust + few other bits - nothing too major, thankfully)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Good results. =D>
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Well it was a double all clear. The other car also flew through its MOT today. I had having both in the same month but feel like I've escaped lightly this year!
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

My bongo got its ticket yesterday. 2 issues. Hole in exhaust and split tyre (not seen by me as was on the inside.) Tyre replaced on way back from test centre, waiting for my bongo friendly mechanic to get up to date with his other customers as he has had time out having to do his own cooking etc. as his wife was away at the maternity hospital.
Ian G.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 pm

fatcatlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm My bongo got its ticket yesterday. 2 issues. Hole in exhaust and split tyre (not seen by me as was on the inside.) Tyre replaced on way back from test centre, waiting for my bongo friendly mechanic to get up to date with his other customers as he has had time out having to do his own cooking etc. as his wife was away at the maternity hospital.
Ian G.
Well done! I'd get in to see your man quickly as he'll be even more busy when his wife gets back from the Maternity Hospital!!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”