Cross-channel ferries

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Markas
Bongolier

Cross-channel ferries

Post by Markas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Am looking to book a Dover-Calais ferry crossing for this August. Do the ferry companies consider a converted Bongo 'motor caravan' as a car, van or motorhome, as the tickets all cost different amounts? Don't want to get the wrong one and then get kicked off or charged more at the port!
Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm confused :?
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Cross-channel ferries

Post by Flanners » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Car, you can see if you use drop down menu on P&O for instance as gives exterior dimensions, the Bongo easily achieves them.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks, Flanners. I thought so but wanted to check with more experienced travellers!
Mark
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm

When I last booked a crossing there was no difference in price between car and motorhome unless you go over 6m in overall length or certain height which does not affect a Bongo unless you have a trailer to push you over 6m. The only comment when I turned up on the day was you have gas and they asked me to check that it had been turned off at the bottle. It was not a problem but next time I will book as motorhome so they know in advance incase it becomes an issue.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:52 pm

JoeC wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm When I last booked a crossing there was no difference in price between car and motorhome unless you go over 6m in overall length or certain height which does not affect a Bongo unless you have a trailer to push you over 6m. The only comment when I turned up on the day was you have gas and they asked me to check that it had been turned off at the bottle. It was not a problem but next time I will book as motorhome so they know in advance incase it becomes an issue.
Interesting comment about there being no difference in price; when I went on the P&O website last night they wanted £50 for a car, £60-something for a motorhome & £100 for a van, despite me putting in the Bongo's dimensions! I'm only travelling one way, as will be over-wintering in France.
In the end booked a return car crossing as the cheapest option!!
Mark
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:28 pm

To be honest, i take the shuttle, it costs about the same and takes 30mins, then when you get to the other side,you go straight onto the motorways.
I did take 2 ferries on ma trip back to uk, one to isle of wight and one to skye, and they operated the same. Dimensions under 2m and less than 6m long qualify as a car.
Interestingly, on the shuttle back to france i took the wrong side heading to the train and ended up in the section for cars under 1.85m and they let me on that section, i got roof rails too, lets just say i was about 5cm under the roof of the train, but by joe it actually fits :shock:
Hope this helps
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Useful comments but it's all booked on the ferry now. As you say, shuttle is very convenient as you're straight onto the autoroute.
Mark
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 am

If time is not of massive importance I always use the Ferry, cheaper, a chance to relax and have a drink and mooch about, maybe get some plonk, a great start to a holiday with the views and the 'boat' experience. Personally I can't stand the Chunnel. Off to Boulogne/Le Touquet on Saturday for a day trip.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Bongo Chat”