AFT fabric cleaning

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

congobongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

AFT fabric cleaning

Post by congobongo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

Looking for any advice on cleaning my AFT fabric. Several years of using mould and mildew removers has taken its toll on the fabric. This winter it has also got stained by rust from the floor panel in the AFT (which I have now replaced). I have thought about replacing the fabric but wondered if anyone has removed it and had it professionally cleaned? The fabric is in otherwise good condition with no tears etc. I had also thought about removing it and seeing if it could be washed by a launderette with a suitably large washing machine! Any advice would be appreciated.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: AFT fabric cleaning

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Just a thought - and I've never used anything like this - but have you thought of this type of stuff? https://www.fabricspray.co.uk/product-c ... ray-paint/
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Why would you need to waterproof a plastic covered fabric ? The outside of the material has a plastic layer bonded to it, if moisture is getting in its normally down to the plastic flap that covers the zip! There have been a few where stitching has been carried out thru the plastic layer, but in that case its best to just cover the stitched area with a plastic tape on the outside.

As to cleaning it a weak bleach solution seems to do the job very well, but it does need washing off after using it as long term bleach will damage the cotton fibres, the Mould and Mildew spray bottles are normally a cheap way of doing it.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Agreed, but it has pigment as well as waterproofing - colour might cover the rust stains.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
congobongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by congobongo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, never thought of anything like that would probably make it look a bit better but is probably just covering up the issue! The fabric is still water tight, several years of the bleach in the mould removers have taken its toll and the fabric is looking a bit tired and the zips are getting tight.I guess I'm guilty in probably not rinsing it off thoroughly enough. I'm going to try a week bleach solution and lots of rinsing this weekend. I will then lubricate the zips to see if that helps. The problem with living in Scotland is getting two dry days in a row to get it properly dry!
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello
I recently cleaned mine with a solution of washing powder a small amount of bleach and some white vinagar. And the use of a none scouring sponge. Throughly rinse it afterwards as mentioned.
Note it did take several hours to fully dry afterwards but does look better.
As for the zips I lubricated them by running a candle along them. My netting zip was seized and it freed it off nicely.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 am

I don't have an AFT but use Autoglym Soft Top cleaner and proofer on convertibles, I reckon it would be effective.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Bongo Chat”