Want a White Bongo - Swap/Breaking/Respray

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Want a White Bongo - Swap/Breaking/Respray

Post by digitalgypsy » Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Hello Bongo friends,

I have always loved the white/purple colour scheme on the pre 97 bongos. I'm on my second Bongo now. First one was green and current one is silver. As you might guess, I'm inpatient and have never waited around for a decent white one! Being a perfectionist I have not settled either until I get one #-o

So now I'm thinking the most affordable way I can change the current one to white. I see my current options as:

1. Full respray at workshop. Very unlikely as I'm not going to spend 2-3k.
2. Find someone who is willing to respray/rustoleum roller. Paid of course.
3. Change the body panels to white, from people breaking their Bongos. Understand will still need body shop to respray roof and main frame.
4. Swap my one!!

I'm thinking of going with number 3. It seems the most economical if I can find people near enough who will change the panels for me. Does anyone see any issues with changing passenger and side doors etc? I assume you can't do too much damage by swapping them.

I'd also definitely consider swapping for a decent white one. Mine is a 97 silver and is in very good condition, only 35k miles, undersealed and rear conversion.

Appreciate any input :)

Steve
Markas
Bongolier

Re: Want a White Bongo - Swap/Breaking/Respray

Post by Markas » Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi Steve,
An interesting idea, a sort of Frankenbongo created from lots of parts off deceased Bongos!!
I have only once swapped a door from one vehicle to another supposedly identical one. It caused horrendous wind noise and required a significant amount of 'fettling' to persuade it to be wind and watertight and lock properly. Only did it myself because the insurance company would have written the car off after a cretinous neighbour backed into it in his daughter's car which he wasn't insured to drive.
You say you're a perfectionist, me too. I can foresee a great deal of time and money being spent on getting things to work properly and look right, plus there will always be areas that are not in the new colour unless you completely strip your existing Bongo out. Also all paint discolours over time so the replacement panels and any new paint may well not match until you have repainted your replacement panels which rather defeats the purpose of the exercise. Modern paints are clearcoat over base so you wouldn't be able to blend new and old paint together by mopping as you could if it were an older solid colour.
I think your options are:
1 enjoy your low mileage near-classic Bongo as it stands
2 let someone else enjoy it and acquire one in white by swapping, p/exing or whatever
3 talk to a classic car restorer in your area who will give you a quote for a proper respray
**edit**
Just re-read your post and see you're planning to pay someone to swap the panels over - that's going to bump up your costs even further!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 am

Markas wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm Hi Steve,
An interesting idea, a sort of Frankenbongo created from lots of parts off deceased Bongos!!
I have only once swapped a door from one vehicle to another supposedly identical one. It caused horrendous wind noise and required a significant amount of 'fettling' to persuade it to be wind and watertight and lock properly. Only did it myself because the insurance company would have written the car off after a cretinous neighbour backed into it in his daughter's car which he wasn't insured to drive.
You say you're a perfectionist, me too. I can foresee a great deal of time and money being spent on getting things to work properly and look right, plus there will always be areas that are not in the new colour unless you completely strip your existing Bongo out. Also all paint discolours over time so the replacement panels and any new paint may well not match until you have repainted your replacement panels which rather defeats the purpose of the exercise. Modern paints are clearcoat over base so you wouldn't be able to blend new and old paint together by mopping as you could if it were an older solid colour.
I think your options are:
1 enjoy your low mileage near-classic Bongo as it stands
2 let someone else enjoy it and acquire one in white by swapping, p/exing or whatever
3 talk to a classic car restorer in your area who will give you a quote for a proper respray
**edit**
Just re-read your post and see you're planning to pay someone to swap the panels over - that's going to bump up your costs even further!
Very good advice IMHO =D> The swapping panels idea sounds a potential nightmare, and how do you swap the big ones like the sides/rear wings. Also, I have seen white Bongos where paintwork has gone 'chalky' with age. Given its otherwise great sounding condition, I think I'd opt for a restore and respray on yours as the most effective / least costly solution. You can probably get decals made for the detailing you want.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sun May 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Just remembered this little beauty...

Apparently VW shifted 3,800 of them. Perhaps that's a solution for you :lol:
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun May 27, 2018 7:16 pm

I do remember seeing those.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 pm

i got a guy who did my arches, 2 sides and front bumper in exchange for machanical work, it cost me 27 euros for the paint :mrgreen: and about 10hrs of work, and yes, sheès white, but no , i cant swap :roll: i got her with the full conversion private sale for 6000 last august, in parts and upgrades including the swivels in june weève spent just over 2000.
We got an awning, fold away extra table,t.v, kettlr, bike rack, a toaster, a heater, 2 folding chairs and she even gave us airbeds. Total bargain :D
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:

Return to “Bongo Chat”