Homemade awning sloping towards Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Homemade awning sloping towards Bongo

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi all!

A while back I put together a homemade awning from a decathlon tarp using some drain rods and bungee balls (to hold it to the three hooks under the AFT cover). It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works well enough for us :D This year, I wanted to try raising the font edge up a bit to give us more headroom.

This would mean that when wet, water would run down the awning towards the bongo. As far as I can tell, it should simply run down into the gutter above the door to the ground, but just wanted to check if there were any hidden gotcha's to this approach.

Does anyone else have an awning that slopes down towards the van?

Many thanks,
Phil
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Homemade awning sloping towards Bongo

Post by Roy748 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello
I too made my own sun shade running from the gutters to two poles. I opted to shorten the poles to allow water to run away from the van and like you, I do have to duck on entering.
I did read a post some time back where owners were talking about the seams from the guttering and roof leaking due to corrosion and the weight of having a fixed roll out awning attached. So although in our case, it should not be a problem, diverting water away from the van has to be a better option long term.

Return to “Bongo Chat”