Elevating roof (pop top) too heavy to pull down alone

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Trixiebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Elevating roof (pop top) too heavy to pull down alone

Post by Trixiebongo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi everyone
I'm just wondering if anyone could come up with a solution of how I can get the pop top roof down on my own. I'm 5ft 1'& 8 stone my arms will reach both handles, but I do not have the physical strength to pull down the roof on my own. This is making it really difficult because it means I cannot travel alone and always have to rely on someone else. Any suggestions? Many thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Elevating roof (pop top) too heavy to pull down alone

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi, welcome to BF.

I'm guessing this is an aftermarket roof, so are the handles inside or out, please?

Could you join them with a bit of cord then use a pole with a hook on it to pull down?

Could you post pictures?

I'm sure others will offer help too. 8)
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 am

I once met someone who joined them with a longer piece of rope and then would sit in it so that it had his whole weight to pull it down - kind of like a swing!

Jane
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

Neat idea. 8)

Possibly clip it on with a couple of carabiners or similar.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Trixiebongo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm Hi everyone
I'm just wondering if anyone could come up with a solution of how I can get the pop top roof down on my own. I'm 5ft 1'& 8 stone my arms will reach both handles, but I do not have the physical strength to pull down the roof on my own. This is making it really difficult because it means I cannot travel alone and always have to rely on someone else. Any suggestions? Many thanks
While my van was being converted I borrowed the demo van from Northstar, which has an after-market pop top. I struggled to get it down as the only means to pull it down was the straps (as far as I can recall) and the fact it was facing into a stiff breeze and acting like a sail. Perhaps turn the van to face downwind and get Mother Nature to help. Also some handles to swing off would help.
Didn't bother with having a pop top put into my van as 1) I'm short and 2) a bit tight-fisted!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Bit OT...for £3K retro fitted it is a fair old price, I'm not short but well used to the tin top and find it fine. I went for a tin top so I could stay stealth and get under most height restrictions. I then heard that NorthStar pop means the same height or thereabouts as tin top (rather than the AFT) I stood in one of NorthStar's poptop conversions when I was down in Southampton having my seat flattened, I realised then with my awning attached I could more or less do without one as it gave me nothing really extra; see if my view changes after the Summer hols.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm with you on that Flanners; TBH I spend most of my time in the van sat or asleep so being able to stand up fully isn't really a great issue. Certainly not 3K's worth of an issue :lol:
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”