Post by fordmill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Can anybody advise on what is a good awning for my bongo. :?:

Cheers
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: best awning for bongo's

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 am

That depends on a number of circumstances. What time of year will you be camping? Will you be sleeping in it? Will it be used just for storage or as a living-space? How many of you in your party? How watertight do you like things to be? Do any of your party have mobility issues? Do you have a dog? What's your budget?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am

Ian wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 am That depends on a number of circumstances. What time of year will you be camping? Will you be sleeping in it? Will it be used just for storage or as a living-space? How many of you in your party? How watertight do you like things to be? Do any of your party have mobility issues? Do you have a dog? What's your budget?
Yes indeed. We all have preferences, and slightly different needs....
Also, a friend of mine recently bought herself a new awning for her van (not a Bongo!)
It's one of those inflatable types, because she thought it would be easier for her to assemble on her own
However.... it's so heavy - she can hardly even lift it! - so there may be other considerations; How heavy is it? How much space does it take up when you're travelling? And how easy is it to set up, if you're on your own?

My personal preference is for a tent type of driveaway awning - cos I can store chairs, cooler box etc
And sit inside with a glass of beer of an evening, if it's a bit chilly outside. Mine wasn't too expensive either - just over £100
fordmill
Bongonaut

Post by fordmill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi folks,

There will be 2 adults and 2 kids, Would like 2 people to sleep in it and 2 in the van. Don't want to pay to much but probs a couple of hundred quid.

Thanks
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 am

A little bit above your budget perhaps, but the Wimberley is currently the best seller in the club shop:

https://bongoland.co.uk/product/wimberl ... ay-awning/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Not trying to divert business away from the club shop, but my Outdoor Revolution Cayman was only slightly more than £200 and has the option of a clip-in double sleeping compartment. Uses glass fibre poles rather than air tubes so is possibly lighter. With storm straps added to it it has withstood some fairly strong winds (40ish mph). The internal area is about 3m square, plus the tunnel. You can see it in my avatar.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 am

Some good suggestions here.
Again, not wanting to divert attention from BF marketplace, but I've seen a few awnings on ebay,
for which you can buy additional interior dividers or sleeping compartments...
Or perhaps you could place a "wanted ad" on here? - Might be a good idea.....

Anyhow, good luck with your search - the Wimberley model in that link above does look rather nice :D
fordmill
Bongonaut

Post by fordmill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi Folks,

Does anybody know what the New Khyam Driveways Drive Away Campervan Awning is like?

Thanks
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Markas wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm Not trying to divert business away from the club shop, but my Outdoor Revolution Cayman was only slightly more than £200 and has the option of a clip-in double sleeping compartment. Uses glass fibre poles rather than air tubes so is possibly lighter. With storm straps added to it it has withstood some fairly strong winds (40ish mph). The internal area is about 3m square, plus the tunnel. You can see it in my avatar.
we also have a Outdoor Revolution. Think it's cayman cacos. Impressed with it tbh. Works nicely as a starter awning and takes about 25 mins to put up. It does require 2 people though and the instructions were shit.
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:56 pm

I bought an awning to attach to the vans gutter and in a way wish I had bought a tent with a porch entrance. With the tent you can park close enough to the tent and not have the hassle of trying to park the van the correct distance away and then try and attach the figure of 8 with the correct tension.
fordmill
Bongonaut

Post by fordmill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if a Vango Galli II Compact Low Inflatable Drive Away Awning Air Beam will fit a bongo?

Cheers
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 pm

I have the Galli 1 low and that fits.
Stevejoy5
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stevejoy5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 pm

I bought mine from halfords, olopro blow up tent. Its a bit heavy and is really a two person set up(well is at the mo)
We did a set up at weekend and worked well and was plenty big enough, we strapped over the van. But i have ordered the figure of 8 kit now with the quick release driveaway part.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:12 am

After much research and deliberation I went for the Outdoor Revolution XLS2 as it comes with a built in 2 berth bedroom. groundsheet, canopy/porch facility and curtains for the 'windows'.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

JoeC wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:56 pm I bought an awning to attach to the vans gutter and in a way wish I had bought a tent with a porch entrance. With the tent you can park close enough to the tent and not have the hassle of trying to park the van the correct distance away and then try and attach the figure of 8 with the correct tension.
Trick is to set it up to suit you, then measure the distance between van and start of awning/ groundsheet (if anyone's interested that's 80 cm for the Movelite Cayman) so you know how far out to set up the awning in future.
I also position the guyropes nearest the van so the tent pegs are in line with the side of the van - pul up, drop n/s door mirror so you can see the reference tent pegs and reverse into place. Have tried going in forwards and just can't get it right :lol:
Movelite do sell 'landing strips' - 2 extremely expensive lengths of hi-viz material to help you position the van. On one occasion I used the EHU cable to do something similar.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”